8. Encounters Of The Bizarre Kind

I do not believe in meaningless coincidences. I believe every coincidence is a message, a clue about a particular facet of our lives that requires our attention.

~Deepak Chopra

***

The night went by in a flash and by morning Marcus was already dressed in his school clothes, sitting at the dining with his hands slowly bringing his breakfast to his lips as he waited for the bus. Had he woken up early? Had he slept? Did the screams of Sheila's mother haunt his dreams? Marcus chewed his food as he tried imagining anything but the woman's bloodshot eyes.

His mother appeared from the kitchen and dropped a tray of pineapples on the table. "Eat up," she said.

"Oh mom," Marcus wailed between chews. "I've already started taking my tea."

"You better save some space for them, cause I already cut them up. You need fruits to save you from the junk you eat all the time."

"Fine, fine," he said dragging the tray to him.

Jane focused on her own meal and took her fork in hand. She stabbed the piece of bacon and twirled it round her plate, her mind lingering on a particular topic.

"Marcus," she said

He hummed in response as he chewed on a piece of pineapple.

"I was wondering...what if... I'm not forcing you or anything, I just thought it would be better for you, even if it might be a change and—"

"What is it mom?"

"Would you consider switching schools?"

"What?"

"I'm thinking of Panterbaker, but it's up to you."

"Mom, I can't just—"

They were interrupted by the honking of the school bus. Marcus swung his backpack on as he got to his feet. "Don't worry mom," he said making his way to the door. "I'm sure the murder was one time. It's not like the murderer will return. Bye!"

He slammed the door behind and raced to the honking bus. Marcus was greeted by the frown of the impatient driver and gave a smile in return before walking down the rather empty aisle.

The vehicle was silent. Most students had their heads rested on the windows, their eyes aimlessly staring at the busy Wednesday streets, whilst the others had hushed conversations amongst themselves. Marcus slumped to his back seat beside Jeff and dropped his backpack at his feet.

"Hey bro," Marcus greeted as the boys did their secret handshake.

"For a moment there I thought your mom told you not to come to school like the rest."

Marcus glanced at the few empty seats in the rows, "She almost did."

"Well, my dad said it was the work of the devil's attempt to stop us from acquiring education. Our morning devotion was extended to like an extra twenty minutes. I thought I'd have to run to school."

"Your dad is an over-the-top Christian. I'm not surprised. What did surprise me though is my mom."

"What she do?"

"It's what she said. Woman wants me to change schools," he rolled his eyes. "Panterbaker High, she said."

"What the fuck? That dead ass public school?"

"That's what I said."

"If that idea pops into my dad's head, I'd run away in a heartbeat."

"Maybe I'll think about it too."

"If you'll need a place to stay, you can always hide under my bed."

"Not with your dad still in there, his Holy Spirit would find me even before I snuck into that house."

The bus stopped and the atmosphere went still. Everyone stared at the house, waiting for its owner. A few moments later a girl walked out, her head down, fingers tightly gripping the straps of her school bag as she walked into the bus.

Michelle refrained from her usual greeting of the conductor and began her walk down the aisle. Unbothered by the eyes following her every move, she sat on the seat she knew all to well and dropped her bag on the first-ever empty seat beside her. With a sigh, she rested her head on the cold window glass and shut her eyes. 

"Poor girl," Jeff said, "Can't imagine losing a best friend like that."

Marcus turned to him, "Promise me you wouldn't die anytime soon?"

"With my nine lives, I should be telling you that."

The bus roared to life and continued its journey. It backed up to the parking lot where Stevens stood to welcome the students, his frown evident.

The students boarded down the bus and headed for the building. The sort of beeline stopped when Michelle paused. Everyone stood mouth dropping, as the girl glared at Mr Stevens, her body mere inches from the grunt man. Even before Stevens could get a word out, she broke into a run, bolting to the doors and disappearing into the building.

"What in fuck's name was that?" Jeff said.

"Its the grief. Makes you do a lot of crazy shit," Marcus replied.

Morning classes rolled by smoothly with the teachers doing their best to remind the students that William was clearing things out with the police department and that everyone was alright.

The line at lunch was nothing more than six students and the caterer calling for others to join. Like Marcus, no one had an appetite and it was no fault of the food.

Marcus sat on a table, flipping through a novel when Jeff rushed to him.

"You have to come and see this!"

"Don't tell me they found another body."

"Close. Hurry! Before it gets too crowded!"

Marcus sped with Jeff in the lead and soon they arrived at the doors of the auditorium. Well...the broken auditorium. The hazard tapes had been cut down and there was a crowd of students staring down on the floor. Marcus shoved his way through and made it to the front lines.

"What the actual—"

"Told you," Jeff smiled as the boys stared down at the letters written in blood:

***