Epilogue

The end is never the end. It's always the beginning of something else.

~Kate Lord Brown

***

Rocco silently made his way into the basement of the building. He met the guards in front of a closed door. The guards, on recognising him, immediately stepped aside and let him in, closing the door behind him. Rocco, once inside the room, walked over to a table where he poured himself a drink and started drinking, staring at the other person in the room.

"I always knew Stewart wasn't much of a man," Rocco began. He kept silent, but continued talking after realising that the other person wasn't going to respond.

"I have to admit that it wasn't easy for me. Coming all this way? But they say, if God is for me, then who shall be against me?" he continued talking.

He put the glass down and walked over to where the other person was. The person was none other than Jane, Marcus' mother. She was unconscious, placed on a life support machine. It indicated that she was fine, although she was still in a coma. Rocco went near her and ran his hands all over her hair, shaking his head to himself.

"I knew from the start that Stewart would only come to ruin our lives. Me and you, we were such a beautiful match in the orphanage. Why did you have to leave me for that sorry excuse of a man?" he asked the unconscious woman. Still knowing that she wasn't going to talk, he continued with his speech.

"Anyway, after I realised that he was planning on going back to your life, I knew I had to take care of him. That day, watching you and him in the house having fun like nothing happened, I realised I had to get him out of the way. I hid those tapes of people being killed in that school and lied to him that everything was alright. I'm so sorry my dear Jane, but I also had to get you into an accident, to get you away from that man. I'm so sorry that you have to be in this situation," he started weeping, his tears falling on Jane's face. He wiped them hurriedly, and then went back to caressing her hair.

"And I'm also sorry for killing your son. He compromised my plan, and I had to get him out of the way. He was also a symbol of your relationship with that imbecile, and I don't want you having any memories of him," Rocco spoke, flashing back to the moment where he shot Marcus at the cliff. He had followed Stewart to the cliff and watched in silence as father and son argued, then the son threw away the necklace, causing Rocco to be in a fit and shoot the boy for sabotaging everything, and finally sneaked away as the others assumed that it was the boy's father. Suddenly coming back to reality, his hands went into his pocket and he brought out the Dragon Pearl Necklace, placing it on Jane's hand.

"It's amazing how cops will do anything for you at the right price," Rocco commented. "I paid one of the divers to look for the necklace, and to ensure that the boy was never found. Sadly, even he couldn't find your son's body. Seems like fate is finally on my side."

He continued stroking her hair, thoughts running through his mind.

"Don't worry Jane. Everything is finally alright. I can't wait for you to wake up so that we can be together once more, just you and I, like in the orphanage. Fret not, I'll fix you."

Rocco brought out his phone after that sentence. He dialled a number then called it, waiting for the other person to pick it up.

"Hello. Is the aeroplane ready?" he asked whoever had answered. He nodded as the person on the other end replied.

"Good. I'll get my men to transport the sick lady. Hope you have our fake passports ready. Okay. Goodbye," he hung up and took his eyes back to Jane, smiling at her. He then gazed at the ceiling, and the next words that came out of him were a promise.

"Don't forget me Middlewood. I'll soon be back."

***

COMING SOON:

Book Two

Arabella Academy: The Collectors

***