42. The Grief Cycle

Sometimes, I just want to sit outside with someone and talk all night.

~Anonymous

***

Jeff had decided to accompany Michelle home. Based on her earlier reaction, Jeff wasn't completely convinced that she would be able to make it home. He resorted to walking with her, half-afraid that if he tried to speak with her all the wrong words would come out.

They continued walking in that state of silence for a while, each deep in thoughts. Finally, Jeff couldn't bear the silence any more.

"Why didn't you wanna tell anyone about your relationship with Sheila?" Jeff asked. He expected Michelle to go mad and stomp off but instead, all he got was a weak smile.

"Not all relationships can be as beautiful as yours and Luis is," she replied, her mind clearly distant. "We were still trying to get to know ourselves, wrestling with all these sudden emotions and desires." She lifted her head as if she just remembered something.

"Now that I think about it, I don't even think we were even in a relationship," she spoke.

"What makes you say that?" Jeff raised a question.

"For starters, the fact that it was a secret," Michelle answered.

"Wish I could have kept mine too," Jeff told her. "It would have saved me so much trouble I'm facing today."

"What do you mean trouble? The hottest guy in school is literally dating you!" Michelle blurted.

"That hot guy apparently has had me kicked out of my house," He confessed.

Michelle's face turned sad. "I'm so sorry Jeff. Were you okay? Did you somewhere safe to sleep in?"

"Yeah, I am. I'm currently crashing at Marcus' place, although I'm not sure for how long it'll be until I start being a burden to them," Jeff looked away.

"Don't say that Jeff!" Michelle sympathised with him. "Marcus is a really good friend...you know that, right?"

"Yeah, he is. But sometimes I feel like I'm always dropping my problems on him," Jeff said.

Michelle suddenly halted and stared into Jeff.

"Hey, you are never a burden to someone who loves you. No matter what you will always go through, a good friend will always carry a share of the burden. What are friends for if not doing that?"

"Ummm... gossiping and creating trouble?" Jeff joked lightly.

"That is also partially true," Michelle admitted. "But having friends makes us know that we are not alone; that we always have someone to share our troubles with, and that they'll always be there for us, be it in fun or pain."

"Well that is also the work of lovebirds, and I've been seeing the way you and Marcus look at each other," Jeff successfully changed the subject, winking at Michelle in the process.

"Pfft! What? Me and Marcus? No way! Like how even? We do not even have anything in common. He's not even my type," Michelle shrugged it off.

"The first step in actually liking someone is the denial stage. We're doing pretty fine there," Jeff commented, earning a shove from Michelle.

Hey, I got an idea. Since you like gossip so much, how about we go to my place, drink some juice, watch some romance and make our nails as we gossip about school," Michelle suggested. Jeff's eyes suddenly lit up.

"Girl, yasssss!" he clapped his hands. "I have been literally wanting to watch a romance movie with someone but Marcus isn't really one of those guys that are into romance."

"Good thing he not here then. We have the whole afternoon to ourselves. Plus my dad's not home," it was now Michelle's turn to wink.

"How did you know I was to ask about your dad?" Jeff joked.

"Intuition," Michelle smiled. Jeff followed her hurriedly as they went on discussing their movie choices.

"So what movie are we watching?"

"I was thinking The Kissing Booth 2?"

"Girl, nooo...."

"But why though?"

"Elle and Noah literally still end up together. We should watch Seriously Single. I heard it's a bit more realistic."

"Whatever you say, movie master."

"Just shut up..."

"Hahahaa..."