29. Reparation

Forgive and forget? I'm neither Jesus nor do I have Alzheimer's

~Anonymous

***

"You find out that your dad is the coolest man alive and you do not care to call and share the news with me?" Jeff burst in front of Marcus' locker. He had been with Luis, frantically calling Marcus' home telephone, thinking that his mother may had finally got her way and Marcus was probably in Panterbaker. They both huddled over Marcus, begging for information.

"I'm sorry. I was going to but then I had an argument with my mom. Apparently she doesn't want him back," Marcus replied. He then remembered what they had done to her that morning, and wondered whether she would forgive him by the time he came back from school.

"Well that explains why someone didn't answer through your home line," Jeff said.

"Just tell him that if he wants some other people to adopt we are here, ready and willing, as long as he carries us in his car," commented Luis.

Marcus was about to answer him when he noticed Michelle walk past them. She didn't look past him and continued strolling. Marcus and his company followed her.

"Michelle," Marcus called. Michelle halted and turned back, showing disinterest in whatever Marcus was going to speak next.

"I heard that you're that man's son," she began, as a way of confirming the rumours herself.

"Yeah he is. And why are you saying 'that man' as if he's some kind of bad omen?" Marcus answered.

"Nothing much. It's just that something in that guy gives me the creeps. Thank you for telling me though. You can leave me alone now," she concluded and began trailing off, but Marcus took her by her right hand and pulled her back. Her left hand was thrown onto Marcus chest, and it was rendered immobile for a moment, possibly feeling the muscle that was beneath that chest. Michelle and Marcus seemed to be moving away from reality, their eyes looking into each other intently. Michelle looked away quickly, in fear of losing herself to the boy that made her thirsty—not for water. Marcus recovered too, realising the awkward moment that had just passed through. Luis and Jeff both glanced at each other, and they instantly knew that that they were thinking of the same usual statement:

Get a room!

"Michelle," Marcus spoke after regaining his self control. "We are sorry for what happened yesterday. We acted like fools, and in the process we hurt you without even realising. I am so sorry for what happened, and I know that you're mad at us, but I really want us together to finish solving this murder case. Hashtag Justice for Sheila, you remember?" he tried to convince her.

Michelle looked at the trio and sighed heavily. "Took you long enough."

Marcus eyes lit up at the statement. "Does that mean you forgive us?"

Michelle gazed at Marcus. "No, I won't. Not until he apologises too," she eyed Jeff. Jeff gave a surprised look and raised his eyebrows in question.

"I thought Marcus apologised for the both of us," he protested.

"I only heard I am sorry, not Jeff and I are sorry," she clarified. Jeff looked at Luis for support but he shrugged his shoulders, not wanting to involve himself in the mess.

"Urgh! I am sorry then. Are you satisfied now?"

Michelle turned back to Marcus. "Your apology has been received by the management and is now being processed. Expect our answer at the end of the day."

"Our? What kind of management is that?" Marcus questioned.

"The one that decided you behaved like a total jerk yesterday," Michelle retorted.

"Tell them I would like to appeal their decision," spoke Marcus.

"I will," Michelle added with finality.

"Has anyone seen those secret agents that Stevens was supposed to send to protect us?" Luis changed the subject. The diversion served its purpose as soon everyone was wondering whether they had been seeing mysterious figures follow them.

"I haven't seen one, so it's either Stevens played us or those guards are really good at keeping themselves hidden. Speaking of Stevens, he wasn't in the parking lot to shout at us. Anywhere he might have been?" Marcus answered.

The remaining three shook their heads to confirm they hadn't seen him. "Maybe the SHIT was too big to release," Jeff joked.

"You just ruined my appetite," Michelle threw Jeff a disgusted look.

The bell rang, signalling them that classes were beginning. They then parted ways and soon each one of them was in class, commenting on how Miss Gianna had worn a miniskirt to get the Managing Director's attention.