51. The Thanks Of Donkeys

Some people will only love you as much as they can use you. Their loyalty ends where the benefits stop

~Anonymous

***

"You," Stevens began, eyeing Calvin dangerously. No amount of words could explain the tension between the two groups. Each one of them stood there, looking at the other group with hate and fear. This was the moment they had all feared, the moment where they had to face Stevens and his chameleon of a squad. Silence reigned over them, each one unsure of what would happen next.

"If you want an apology for trashing your hideout then you'll be waiting a long time," Calvin spoke, his tone adamant and defying.

"What did we do to deserve that? You went all kind of crazy like some bitch. And I don't know what's worse, you ghosting us or spoiling everything we worked so damn hard for," Stevens said. He sounded hurt, but not that Calvin had left them, but because he had spent so much money on that equipment.

Out of the blue Calvin started laughing. He was laughing so hysterically that the others thought that he was going to collapse. He then kept quiet and sneered at Stevens and his men.

"You know what's funny Stevens? It's that you take me for a damn fool. You and your little group here running around like some silly detectives thinking that you're going to find a stupid necklace which you'll never find. But guess what old man? You can finally remove that fucking mask off! I should have known that saying you were a secret government organisation was a lie. Heck! I should have even known from the name. But just as the name represents the people, I think I'm not lying when I say that your bags of shit, all three of you!" Calvin exploded. He was far from the jovial mood he was having. Instead, it was replaced by a dark one; a hurt one.

"Calvin, we don't know what you're talking about," Clement spoke, but he already knew the answer that was going to come out of Calvin's mouth.

"For goodness sake, Clement, stop acting like you fucking don't know what I'm talking about," he yelled out. He had heard enough. "That pathetic excuse for a group you called SHIT, lying to me that you were government officials while indeed you are just foolish scumbags. How could I even believe that your secret hideout was at the basement of a closed bar?"

"Wait, the secret hideout was at a closed bar?" Jeff inquired, surprised.

"The Spot," Calvin answered him. "It used to be a well-known bar, until it one day came all crashing down. We could simply ask the owner. Isn't that right Stevens?"

Stevens looked at him like he was ready to pull the trigger.

"The bar was going through trouble. Finding that goddamn necklace would have helped me bring it back to its feet, but then you ruined everything when you decided to break all our stuff," Stevens answered. Arnold was quiet, as always.

"Great. Such good an excuse that you thought it would be good to pose as some secret government organisation?" Calvin remarked.

"I admit that it was not the greatest of ideas, but we really wanted you to join us," Clement answered.

"Mr Stevens, do you know a man named Joel?" Michelle asked. She had been wanting to ask him that question ever since that name popped up. Stevens looked at her, his expression blank.

"No, I don't know anyone named Joel. Why would you ask?"

Michelle and Marcus glanced at each other.

"Nothing. Just asking," she said.

"So what have you come to do here? And why did you knock out the watchman?" Jeff asked, his sound lower than usual. He didn't like that the men were holding guns.

"We wanted to scout the area. Find anything that might tell us if there used to be a dungeon," Clement answered.

"Just great! You know what, I'm tired of this. I don't want to do this, not today. I'm fed up. Guys, let's go. I'm sure we can find another way, I do not see us with these guys ending well," Calvin spoke, and his group turned around and started to leave.

But then Arnold spoke. His voice, as rare as it was, was coming out of his mouth, immediately halting them.

"You're right about one thing Calvin. Things are not going to end well."

"Calvin! Watch out!"

Gunshot.

Silence.