37. The Lost Sheep

I don't understand why people think that having a gay child means they have failed as a parent. Disowning your child means you failed as a parent.

~Anonymous

***

Jeff arrived home exhausted after a really long day. Luis had escorted him up to the town square and kissed him goodbye before he went his own way. Marcus had to escort Michelle home and thus could not walk home with Jeff as they used to.

Jeff unlocked the door and went in, purposing to get straight to the shower, change and lie down. He had just closed the door and started climbing up the stairs when a voice halted him.

"Jefferson Anderson."

Jeff backtracked and made his way into the living room. He entered to find the whole family there: his father, mother and sister Winnie. Daniel Anderson, his father, wore a serious face. It was impossible for Jeff to discern what was going on in that man's mind. He turned to his mother, and she looked away hurriedly as if she did not want to face him. Confused, he then turned to his sister, and she looked at him with an awkward expression that said she wasn't supposed to be there.

"What's up? You look like the Pharisees when they were at Jesus' trial," Jeff tried to lighten up the mood but realised it was a mistake when his father squinted his eyes at him.

"Jeff. Is there anything you want to tell us?" His father sternly asked, his deep voice sending shivers down Jeff's spine. Jeff tried to remember whether he had left his bed unmade again or misplaced his Bible, but he couldn't remember of any wrong he had committed, so he shook his head.

"No, I don't think I have anything to tell you guys," he answered him.

His father breathed loudly. He fished out his phone and unlocked it. He then forwarded the phone to Jeff, who took it unwillingly and looked at what he was being shown.

The shock on his face was to die for when he looked at the phone. It was a video of him earlier in the day when he had confessed his love to Luis. He gulped in fear as the clip showed him and Luis kissing as if it was the end of the world. After the video ended, he looked up and saw his mother's teary eyes. She looked at him for a second before she turned away, blinking fast to avoid the tears from running down her cheeks. He then reverted his gaze back to his father, who stared at him with a look Jeff couldn't figure out whether it was one you'd give when mocking someone or when you're about to kill him.

"I-I-I-I can explain," he stuttered.

A period of unsettling silence followed, with Jeff throwing his eyes back and forth his parents to wait for his verdict. His father was the first one to speak.

"Mary, I want to know who's child this one belongs to. Because I am pretty sure I am not the one that fathered him," he addressed Jeff's mother. Mary looked at her husband and turned away from him, letting the tears flow freely.

"Jefferson, are you possessed?" His father asked Jeff, his stern gaze demolishing Jeff's walls of defence.

"Possessed by whom?" Jeff asked.

"Do you answer a question with a question?" His father erupted, letting out his anger.

"No, " Jeff answered hurriedly. There was no guessing what this man was capable of when angry.

"Now answer me! Are you possessed?" Daniel yelled again, causing Jeff to move back in apprehension.

"No, I am not, " he replied with haste.