24. Amateur Spies

The life of spies is to know, not to be known.

~George Herbert

***

On Sunday morning, the spy was already outside Marcus' house. He took the phone and dialled the same number as he always did.

"What's wrong," the voice at the other end asked.

"The children are together at one of the kids' house," the spy answered.

"Good. You know what to do, right?"

"Yes, I do," the spy replied and hung up. Beads of sweat were making their way down his forehead and his hands were already shaking.

As he got out of the car, he had only one regret.

He regretted that he lied.

Lied about being the one that killed the girl.

"Do you know I had to sneak out of church just to come here," Jeff ranted

"Do you know I had to sneak out of church just to come here," Jeff ranted. "I swear if my dad finds out I am not present he'll kill me."

"I thought he was supposed to be a Christian," asked Luis.

"Beware of people who are on speaking terms with the Almighty," sighed Jeff.

"Did you just quote the Southern Belle Handbook?" Michelle asked, surprised.

"Yeah, and what's the problem with that. It didn't say the book was for girls only," Jeff retorted. Michelle glanced at him and shook her head. The boy was definitely undergoing some issues.

"Can we all just come back to what has been happening here?" Marcus pleaded, bringing the three back to reality. "My mom will not stay for long in church."

"So what did you guys find out on your little date?" Jeff inquired.

Michelle rolled her eyes.

"Nothing much, but we found out the ruling person was actually a Queen, not a King," she responded first.

"We also found out that the revolution of Alberia was a peaceful one, not the violent one as Luis told us," Marcus added, much to the shock of Luis.

"Well, you can't be a hundred per cent sure of an orally passed story," Jeff comforted Luis, lest he feel hurt that he had just lied to them.

"We also found out something ourselves," Jeff spoke. "Turns out that when the Queen and King disappeared, they found bloodstains on the walls. And you won't believe which building used to be the castle; Arabella Academy!" He dropped the bombshell.

"So you mean we have been learning in a goddamned castle for all this time, and they didn't dare to tell us when talking about its history?" Michelle gasped.