Chapter 5: Fly Like a Bird

After scouring Reddit on the theory of aerodynamics applied to the very hypothetical idea of humans with wings, Milo begrudgingly helped me experiment with my noble quest to take flight in my back yard.

"What if you're an emu or penguin, C," Milo grumbled, biting his lip as he did when he was nervous. "They're birds but they can't fly."

"Yeah, well I'm a magpie, Milo. If you saw how that magpie bastard swooped at me, you'd know that magpies can fucking fly," I said, climbing onto the top of the ladder, Milo gripping onto the base with white knuckles, looking up with apprehension written all over his face. "Hold the ladder steady, yeah? I'm gonna jump on the count of three."

"I don't think this a good idea, C..." Milo said, muttering something under his breath as he steadied the ladder, body rigid. 

"Okay. One... two... three!" I leapt from the top of the ladder, my thighs and calves catapulting my body in to the air. The sky was azure blue, clouds light and fluffy, and I screamed triumphantly. I was... I was...

On the ground. 

The sky disappeared from my vision as I landed face down into the grass, which was a little spiky under my bare chest.

"Fuck, C!" Milo swore, kneeling down beside me, rolling me over. Woah, there are two Milos. Nice. Waving his hand in front of my eyes, Milo was frantic. "You okay, C? Can you see me? What's my name?"

"Oh, I can see you alright," I giggled, grabbing at Milo's hand and apparently missing the mark. "All two of you." After a beat, I smirked cheekily.

"Hey, I must be an angel," I said, another giggle bubbling away in my throat as the two Milos morphed into one, my eyes focusing on the dark brown eyes that stared at me so intensely. "Because I think I just fell for you."

"I think you broke something in your head when you fell," Milo groaned, helping pull me to  my feet. When I sat up, everything went dizzy again before clearing. 

"Aw, but I thought that was a good one!" I said, laughing. "I mean, it's thematically appropriate now."

"You're a duck, not an angel, ducky," Milo said, holding my chin between his fingers as he moved my head side to side, inspecting for any injuries apart from my apparently terrible ability to choose pick up lines.

"Well, I'm all good now so, let's try again?" I said, getting up to dust my pants off, grimacing at the grass stains on the knees of my tracksuit pants. 

"You're joking, right? It's clearly not working," Milo said, gesturing to the angel-shaped patch of flattened grass beside us. 

"Maybe you're right," I sighed, Milo's shoulders relaxing. "I clearly need more height. Let's try it from the roof!"

"C!" Milo yelled, flabbergasted. "You can't be serious."

"Oh, come on. It worked in X-Men: First Class with the screaming dude, and also in Shazam. Who better to trust with superhero shit than Marvel and DC, Milo!" I said, giddy. "And it's not like it's the first time I've jumped from a roof. I mean, first time jumping from the third storey, but details, details. You've seen my insta, I've got heaps of parkour vids there, some of them way more ballsy than jumping from a roof. Come on."

"You're not a superhero, C! And no, I'm not going to let you kill yourself!" Milo said, shaking his head firmly, wrapping his arms around my waist as he tried to tug me back down the stairs, but to little success as I beat my wings twice, knocking his hands off me. Racing up the stairs, making sure to keep my wings high as to not get them caught on the banisters, I ran towards the balcony. Leaping up onto the roof gutter, I hoisted myself up, Milo unable to follow. Despite being tall and strong from working out in the gym, he didn't quite know how to use his body like I did.