Chapter 15: Chicken-Livered

"Uh, yeah, so that's what happened," I said, and I could tell Milo was trying to hold in an angered shout as his face almost turned blue. 

"That Dummkopf," Milo gritted, pacing around his room. I watched, mildly amused at Milo's reaction, his figure drifting in and out of the frame of his camera as he paced. "I can't believe he snuck out at three in the morning because we had an argument. He could have died!"

"Yes, well, he's very much still alive, thanks to a certain someone," I said, Milo halting to a stop, before walking back to his phone propped up on his desk, sighing heavily. 

"Thanks, C," Milo said quietly, and I shook my head. "No, really. Thank you for saving his ass. Even though he was a dick to you..."

"What the hell? How petty do you think I am? I'm not going to let your kid brother get stabbed even if he called me - what was it - a drug addict, good-for-nothing and a fuck boy with STDs?" Milo's face was growing more crinkled as I listed the details off on my fingers. "Oh, but he called Black Dove a hero. You brother called me a hero. And a trustworthy guy. Kinda makes up for it. A bit. Maybe just for the drug addict bit."

"I'm really sorry about him, C," Milo said, conflicted. "I tried talking to him about his... prejudice towards you, but we both know how that turned out. He's not usually such a bad kid, he just... really hates you. I'm sorry."

"No, it's fine. I have thick skin, and some of the stuff he said was hilarious, not gonna lie. I think it's just awkward for you, I guess? You're sort of of stuck between us," I said, shrugging. "Kinda sucks more for you."

Milo sighed again, carding his fingers through his hair. 

"Did he say anything else? About you, or... the wings, or anything?"

He didn't say it, but he definitely has a crush on my alter ego. But like hell I'm gonna tell you that. You'd pluck my feathers and then skin me alive.

"He was obviously pretty scared after the mugging, but otherwise he seemed okay. He was also surprisingly okay with the wings," I said, and Milo rubbed at his temples, which were no  doubt throbbing with concern. "Yeah, your brother is as weird as you and the GoGos. I don't get why none of you were too shocked when you found out about them. I'm literally friends with crazily adaptable people."

"Well, you did save his life," Milo reminded me, and I laughed, the phrase so odd, sounding like something from a comic book. "I mean, when someone saves your life, I think it makes it a lot easier to trust them." Milo's face softened again, leaning forward a little, his face close to the camera. His dark eyes were heated even through the screen.

"Thank you, again, C," Milo said, voice rough. "For saving him. He's my brother, and... Thank you. It means a lot."

"Don't mention it. I know how much he means to you, so."

"Yeah," Milo said breathily, staring at his phone screen. "C... about what you said yesterday..."

I immediately sat up straighter, almost falling off my chair, only managing to stay balanced by pressing my wings against the wall. 

"Oh crap! My phone is about to die," I said, laughing loudly and cursing. "I... I gotta go revise, too. I've, uh, neglected my exam prep because I was too busy saving kids from getting mugged. Talk to you later?"

"I... Yeah. Later. Okay," Milo said, and I nodded, waving at the screen before hanging up. My phone  - at a solid 74% - was soon thrown across the room onto my bed, and I groaned.

I had almost felt safe, since Milo had acted normal when I called him to tell him about last night's events. He hadn't acted weird, tried to push me away or screamed 'banish thy homo' at me. But with what he said at the end, he clearly had something to say about it, and I didn't want to find out what that was.