Chapter 26: A Songbird Comes

"You want me to... help solve police cases with you?" I asked, Olivia nodding. "So, you're going to mount a Bird-Signal to the roof of a police station, and light it up when there's trouble?"

"Uh, I was thinking something more along the lines of texting you," Olivia said, frowning a little, Lark snorting at my idea. 

After I had been (forced) to chat to other people I had saved from the fire - receiving a few kisses on the cheek, proposition for selfies and even a request to autograph a guy's ass, I had returned to talk to Olivia about how I could help them greatly.

"Is this... like an official position?" I asked, Olivia shaking her head, face tight.

"No, unfortunately not. Though many of us support your work, since you're helping people and not causing any real trouble, there are also lots of others who think having a vigilante running - or flying - around isn't the best idea. Some want to find out your identity and bring you under the wing - no pun intended - of the law, but there is only so much the law can do. This is all off the record though, I would probably get fired if people heard me talking like this."

"Right, so... I'd be sort of helping you, but off the books?"

"Exactly," Olivia said, mouth quirking up. "When you operate outside the law, you can get some things done a lot faster."

"I am so down for this," I said. "As much as I love saving cats stuck in trees, this is way more exciting! When do I start?"

"Whenever there's trouble," Olivia said. "Now, how can I contact you?"

***

"Okay, my mum has serious issues! She actually let me get discharged early and let you kidnap me," Lark said as I landed in my backyard. Lark clung tightly to my neck as I held her in the princess position, and I quickly let her down when we stepped under the shade of the back porch. 

"Kidnap? Please. Olivia just wants her very beautiful daughter to go home with her saviour," I said smugly, Lark kicking the back of my leg inelegantly as we walked into my house. Pulling off my mask and goggles, I let out a joyous cry when I saw Milo emerge from the study, still wearing his pyjamas with a mug of coffee in hand. He had his glasses on, so he had obviously been studying while I was visiting Lark, and he hadn't bothered to shave, looking scruffy and comfortable.

Running over to Milo, I barrelled my body into his, Milo letting out a grunt as he held his coffee out of the way of the winged missile slamming into him, before returning my tight hug with one arm and kissing the top of my head, smiling.

"Okay, you two are disgusting. Even we weren't this gross," Lark said, gagging. "Now show me your hideout, Culver was telling me all about it on the flight over here."

Milo and I pointedly ignored her to press a series of close-lipped kisses against each other's mouths, Milo tasting like coffee. 

"Missed you this morning," I said, Milo's smile widening.

"You saw me when you woke up, C," Milo said, and I whined in a high pitched tone.

"Stilllll, I missed you," I said, spinning around so I hung off his shoulders, now facing Lark who was watching us with a very unimpressed expression, making me cackle. "Aw, is the third wheel feeling left out? Come 'ere, I can give you kisses too if you want."

"No," Milo and Lark said in unison, making me pout.

"Party poopers," I said, finally pulling myself off my boyfriend, jerking my finger for Lark to follow. "Alrighty then, let me show you the Nest, our very secret, very snazzy base of operations."