Chapter 27: Mama Bird

"Mama, we're here," Milo called out as he unlocked his front door, ushering me in with a comforting hand on my lower back. 

"Oh, fantastic! Welcome home, Schatz, and good to see you again, Culver," Ada chirped from the kitchen, her head popping around the corner to give us both wide smiles. "Actually, maybe not so fantastic, because dinner is going to have to wait a little. Felix isn't home yet."

Oh, fantastic.

"He'll be here in about half an hour, though, so just make yourself at home, Culver," Ada said with another warm smile. 

"Oh, sure, thanks... eep!" I yelped, Milo's arm suddenly snaking around my waist, pulling me towards him in a way that was far more than friendly. Nope, considering the way he held me to him, and the way Ada's eyes widened a little in surprise, there was no way anyone in the room thought that this was just two bros standing zero feet apart because they're just really good friends.

"Mama, Culver and I are dating," Milo said, Ada's mouth dropping as Milo looked down at me, gaze determined, unwavering. Turning back to his mum, who had collected her expression but was still completely speechless, Milo spoke again, enunciating every syllable in a bid to get the message across as clearly and plainly as possible. "He's my boyfriend. Culver's my boyfriend."

Milo's fingers pinched my side, and I jumped, heart getting dislodged into my throat and blocking my airway.

"Uh, yes, sorry for surprising you, but, um, I really like your son and I think he really likes-"

"Loves," Milo interrupted, glaring at me slightly as his arm tightened around me, and I blushed as I looked to catch Ada's expression, which she had pulled back into a neutral position. 

Oh, God.

"Yes, I mean, of course. We, uh, both love each other, so..."

"Mein Gott, I am an idiot," Ada suddenly said, face palming as she groaned to herself, mumbling something under her breath in German that sounded like she was scolding herself. "It all makes sense now! How did I not see it?" 

"I- Sorry?" I asked, Ada fulling stepping out from the kitchen, wiping her hands on the front of her apron before laughing loudly, pulling the two of us into a tight hug. 

"No, no, it's just me being silly. I just can't believe I didn't see this, Gott, I'm so silly," Ada said, seeming to be unable to stop laughing as she pulled back, pinching both our cheeks with affection. "I always just thought that mein Schatz just found a really good friend that he treasured, but I should have seen it. Bah, your Mama is a real idiot."

"Nein, Mama," Milo said, smile breaking from his stoic mouth, kissing her on the cheek. "Even Culver didn't realise, so..."

"Hey!" I said, scrunching my face up at my boyfriend, who grinned happily. "You said you were straight!"

"Mein Gott!" Ada suddenly said, turning to her son with wide, guilty eyes. "Oh, I'm so sorry, Schatz! I kept talking to you about getting a girlfriend, it must have made you so uncomfortable..." Ada's expression was growing more and more horrified as her mind whirled with all of the instances she had teased her awkward son about not bringing home a girlfriend. I couldn't help but giggle at the blush moving across Milo's cheeks as he shook his head adamantly.

"No, it's fine, Mama. I don't even know if I'm actually... gay," Milo said, shrugging, and I realise that was actually true. Milo had never put a label to himself, and all I knew was that he didn't not like guys. I wasn't too fussed about what my boyfriend labelled himself as - if he wanted to label himself as anything at all - since he made it abundantly clear that he was into me, and that was plenty.