Chapter 10: As Scarce As Hen's Teeth

The GoGos left after having lunch with Milo and I, and after a lengthy discussion (or argument) about what my costume should be. Or armour, according to Milo, because he was more worried about the functionality rather than the aesthetics of my outfit. Not that I would need to be bullet proof when going against vegans and their cartons of pigs blood or whining Karens. Still, Milo had stressed that in case, just in case, I needed to at least have some protection.

The discussion-slash-argument had ended with Gia gathering our primary-school level stick figure drawings of ideas and burning them to ash, saying that he needs to go home to her 'creative space' and away from people who didn't know the difference between teal, turquoise and robin egg blue. 

Like usual, for the rest of the afternoon it was just Milo and I in my oversized mansion. Although Milo used to visit often, he rarely stayed overnight, and never overnight for so many consecutive days. I can't say that I hated having him stay over, even if he was complaining about my habits half of the time, and rolling his eyes at me for the rest of it. Having another presence in this large house was comforting, and walking around in its endless corridors never seemed so cold with him here. It may have been because of my unnatural natural cold resistance, but I knew that, at least, my heart was warmer when Milo was around.

It was now around 5 in the afternoon, and since it was winter the days were short, and the nights long. It was already dark outside, so I knew that Milo would probably leave to go have dinner with his family soon. I always found myself dreading this time; usually from around 5:30 until 9, the house would return to being overly quiet, with just one beating heart inside it.

But whatever. Nothing a joint couldn't fix.

It was also the only time I could have a good wank and not have to try and keep the noise to a minimum. Otherwise, it was just me in the shower, using the sound of water hitting the tiled floor to muffle my moans. So, Milo being out of the house for a few hours wasn't all bad.

Milo had his books splayed out on the dining table, and was nursing his lower lip between his teeth as he read through some of his revision notes. Mid-semester exams were approaching, and Milo was, as always, a model student.

Me, on the other hand? I had my books out in front of me, but I concentrating more on blowing smoke rings while I scrolled through instagram. Acoustic music filtered out through the speaker system, Milo and I just enjoying each other's company in silence, though Milo would often look up from his books and give me a disapproving look when he saw that my books were still open on the same page.

It was as I closed my book for good that Milo looked up through his glasses, sighing heavily.

"Did you revise anything?" Milo asked, though the way his voice didn't lift at the end told me that he already knew the answer. I took a deep drag, exhaling through a nonchalant smile.

"You know I do better under pressure," I said, laughing loosely. "Nothing like a good cram session the weekend before the exam."

"I don't know how you scrape by," Milo muttered, checking the time on his phone. My light buzz from the weed dulled slightly as Milo, too, closed his books. He didn't pack them up completely; just pushed them into a neater pile so they didn't take up too much space, even though the dining table was made to seat at least 12 people. My heart lifted a little again at the sight of his books there, neat but relaxed. Ready to come back to.

"Drive carefully, baby," I sang, voice cheerful as I leaned my elbows on the table, joint between my lips. 

"Says you. Who mangled their bumper the day they got their Ps?" Milo reminded me with his signature eye roll as he stood up, making me shrug with great exaggeration.