Someone Familiar

Kirishima, Mina, Kaminari and Sato had a look of doom weighing down their faces. Sero chewed on his lip nervously, and they all watched Aizawa like he was the ferryman about to carry them to hell. Whoever failed the exam would be left in school, suffering through remedial classes while the rest joined together for a fun school trip to a forest lodge.

"Kaminari," Aizawa began, reading of his list of doomed names. "Kirishima," he enunciated slowly, "Mina," a rumbling bell tolled low afore each word, "Sato," the final chime, and all fell silent, save from the Judge himself. "Sero. You all failed the practical exam. And thus..."

He stared them down, and in that moment, he was neither man nor human. He was a monster.

"We're all going on the school trip!" the man grinned in a way that said the only joy he found in life was to emotionally torment his students. Izuku sighed. This is how you create trust issues.

The condemned five jumped from their seats, cheering and crying in equal measure. Their good spirits were quickly squashed however, when Aizawa revealed that the lodge wasn't just some nice vacation, but a boot camp to rigiously train and hone their abilities.

"And of course, everyone who failed will still be attending extra classes," the teacher spoke monotonously. "Honestly... it probably would have been easier if you just stayed at school. Now take these pamphlets and pass them on."

---

There was an oppressive atmosphere in the air as five students stared longingly at the rest of their friends—so carefree, so innocent. Mina buried her face in her palms and Kaminari prayed silently to whichever deity would listen. Sato had produced a pack of cookies from somewhere, chewing them down like a starving man, while Kirishima risked his life by sharing his woes with Kacchan.

The blonde looked like he was about ready to commit murder when Hagakure suddenly jumped from her seat. "We should all go shopping together!" she squealed, full of energy and impossibly animated for someone who was invincible. "We're going to need lots of supplies for the school trip, and there's a local mall not too far we could all go to!"

And just like that, whatever dark miasma had spread through the classroom dissipated like clouds parting to make way for the sun. Mina had stars in her eyes, Kaminari looked up from his seat like his prayers had been answered, and Iida was nodding approvingly.

"A marvelous idea!" he conquered. "It is always good to be prepared for any situation."

Uraraka nudged Izuku lightly with an elbow. "Will you come with us, Deku-kun?" she inquired, a sunlit smile on her face and looking at him with the brightness of a thousand stars. And honestly, Izuku would rather die than ruin that.

"Alright," he conceded.

And when in an impossible feat her smile grew even brighter, he knew he made the right choice.

---

Izuku didn't know how long he had been standing there, just staring in complete disbelief of what was before him. At first he thought me must be mistaken, because there was no way that what he was seeing was actually true. So, he stepped closer, to reassure himself that it was just some terribly dark hallucination.

Staring into the eyes of his own reflection, emerald green painted in circles on the glass window, he looked at what was beyond. His eyes raked slowly over every little crevasse and detail, recreating a perfect imprint in his brain to make sure it was real.

He blinked his eyes, and still, there it was. Plain as day and looking as innocent as could be.

Except it wasn't.