Shadows

I was filled with horror as I realized who this was. "You stay away from us!" Jadebreeze snarled at him.

He gave a mean smirk. "I'm hurt. Is that anyway to treat an old friend?" He said with fake hurt.

Jadebreeze seemed to have regained some confidence. "You're not an old friend. You murdered my family!"

"Mama?" Violetstorm appeared at my side. "Are we in danger again?"

"We'll see." I glared at Shadow.

"Is this you little dragonet Thorn? Doesn't look like much. She looks even weaker than you. Although that isn't saying much." He chuckles.

Rage filled his eyes. "My daughter is not weak! None of my hatchlings are! Nor was I ever weak! And my name is Jadebreeze!"

"Jadebreeze. What a mouthful. What a horrible name. I guess your a coward and stupid. I'm shocked that you're still alive."

When he said those words, anger I've never felt before surged through my body. "How dare you! My rider gave him that name. And Jadebreeze is not a coward or stupid. He's one of the bravest and smartest dragons I know."

"Ew. Mama's being mushy." Streamheart whispered to his siblings.

"What did you say? You have a rider? That makes you a pet." He gave a booming laugh." You managed to get a pet for a mate. Pathetic.''

"Enough!" Jadebreeze lunged at Shadow, spikes at the ready. Shadow responded by shooting a fireball at him. Jadebreeze managed to move out of the way at the last second and tripped over a rock and tumbled into a tree.

Shadow walked over to him chuckling. "Oh little Thorn. If your father, my greatest opponent, couldn't best me in a fight what makes you think that you can beat me?"

Jadebreeze groaned and looked up at him. "Because I have more of a reason than you."

Shadow narrowed his eyes. "Oh really. And what's that?"

"I have a mate and hatchlings. And I will protect them from dragons like you!" Then with more strength then I've ever known he had, surged up and rammed Shadow to the ground.

While they were busy trying to kill each other, I hearded my hatchlings to the log. "I want you three to stay in here. Under no circumstances are you allowed to come out. If he hurts us or even... you have to run. Don't come back, understood?"

"But what's going to happen Mama?" Leafstrike asked, fear shining in his eyes.

I wish I could tell him but the truth is, I don't know what's going to happen. "I don't know baby." I nuzzled him.

A shriek of pain interrupted us. I whirled around to see Jadebreeze covered in cuts. Despite the pain, he was determined to not let him harm us. "I love you." I told them and ran over to help Jadebreeze.

Shadow had him on the ground and was about to fire. I let out a fearsome shriek and bowled into him. We tumbled through the grass until we crashed into a tree. I stood up, my legs shaking, shook my head to get rid of the ringing and flared my wings at Shadow who had just gotten up.

"You got spirit. For a pet." He taunted. As furious as I was being called a pet, I won't take the bait. "I am no-one's pet." I growled.

"Really? You let them ride you like a common animal and let them teach you tricks. They feed you and praise you. You're completely dependent now." I glanced at Jadebreeze who was still on the ground breathing heavily and bleeding all over.

I looked back at Shadow. "You may be right. But there is something else you gain." He narrowed his eyes. "You learn better fighting techniques, you piece of yak dung!" I snarled and lunged at him. I caught his wing joint and flung him into a tree.