Chapter 8

I got home late and feeling so tired and lonely. Being with those women makes you feel so drained.

I've been lying on my bed for hours now but I still couldn't sleep. The words that I've heard earlier in the bathroom keeps echoing in my head.

Does it really mean that I'm uptight because I couldn't get any sex? I can't change who I am! Yes, I'm a little apprehensive about the people around me. You just don't know who you can trust.

And being a bitch is required in a world where people are ruthless, selfish, and unforgiving. You can't be nice, as I said, they will eat you alive if you show any weakness. They are like vultures they can easily smell the fear in you.

Sighing, I turn and look outside my floor to ceiling window. I've always wish I have someone I can talk to. Someone I can confide to. Tell my fears, my happiness, excitement, and frustrations. Ugh! Even the moon has stars to accompany him at night. Why can't I have that? Feeling melancholic, I notice a tear slid down my face. Here we go again, Cassandra stop being so dramatic! I chided myself.

Maybe when I get married I will never feel alone again. A small smile finally crept on my face. Having that resolution I finally able to sleep.

The next two weeks were quite busy and I hadn't had the chance to prepare myself for tonight's charity gala. Good thing I always have a team to make sure I look perfect in special events like this. I already called my assistant last night to set up a dress fitting and have my hair and makeup done.

Later that night, when I enter the venue, immediately everyone nearby turns my way. Some are sending me appreciative looks, mostly men. But others just look like they ate a whole bitter melon 'that's how bitter they are by the way'. In my years of being in the spotlight, I've learned not to bother with their opinion.

Tonight, I chose to wear a Michael Cinco high neck embroidered dress embellished with Swarovski crystals in rose gold. It's a mermaid style gown with long sleeves that molds my body perfectly. The back is fully open exposing my full back and stops just above my butt so it creates a demure-naughty kind of look.

As I scan to check where my parents are I saw Alexander on the other side of the hall and he's with some of his so-called friends, well except for Drew and Sean. Those guys are with him since they were teens. They were the three Musketeers which I've been following around when Alexander stayed in our house for a month. They were fun to be with but sometimes they get in my nerves every time they made fun of me.

I'm walking towards them when my mother blocks my field of vision. "Hi dearest, I've been looking for you all night!" Where have you been? My mom said while kissing both my cheeks.

"Good evening mother! I just came and besides it's still 8:30 pm, it's too early to look for me!" I just smiled at my mom. Sometimes she's just too dramatic.

"Oh honey, but you know we have important people to meet and a lot are already looking for you." She said excitedly.

She's always like this every time we're attending an event. She is so hyper like she has eaten one hundred bars of chocolate. I can imagine her jumping up and down inside.

She once told me that this kind of events makes her feel alive, meeting new people, and chatting with old friends. Sadly, she doesn't know that her own daughter loathes it. It feels too pretentious, like entering a different world where people are all smiles and too friendly which screams fake. I know deep inside they want to kill each other.

"Well mom, the night's still young. We still have time to meet each one of them." I gave her my pleased smile, but deep inside I want to turn around, go home and hide under my blanket.