Chapter 22

"I couldn't move during the previous battle because I got poisoned. I was using my breaths to try and delay the poison from circulating through my bloodstream. Then, (Y/N)-Chan tried to help me. I saw her crying, so then I got angry and lost complete control over my emotions. I think my heart rate went over 200 BMP. And my body became burning hot. I think my body temperature went over 39 degrees," Muichiro explained.

"But can you move in that condition? That would've been life threatening," Shinobu said.

"Well, that's why I think it can be used as a screening test. Will you die, or will you not? That's probably the difference between those who have the mark appear, and those who do not."

"A heart rate over 200 BPM... And a body temperature of around 39 degrees?" Amane asked.

"Yes. When Kochou-San was treating my wounds, I apparently had a fever. The temperature recorded on the thermometer was about 39 degrees. My guess is that I had the same body temperature when the mark appeared."

"Tch. So it's that simple, huh?" Sanemi clicked his tounge.

"I envy those simpletons who can say this is simple," Giyuu said.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"So I guess getting this mark to appear will now be a high priority for the pillars," Shinobu said.

"Agreed. Please inform Oyakata-Sama that we will do something about it, so he can be at ease," Gyoumei said.

"...Thank you very much. But I do have one thing to say regarding your mark training."

"What would that be?" Mitsuri tilted her head.

"Those who have manifested the mark must participate. No matter who it has appeared for, and there will be no exceptions."

"... Even if it seems that Muchiro and Mitsuri's marks have gone, why has mine not?" You finally spoke up.

Everyone's eyes darted to you who was staring at the ground.

"I've had this mark since I fought Upper Moon Six with Uzui. I don't know how I got it, or any recollecting memories of anything along of what Muichiro or Mitsuri explained it to be.

"No heart beating, no heat, no new energy, nothing. All I remember was pain," you said.

"Your mark is still there?" Amane asked.

You pulled the side of your collar away, revealing Sakura patterns on your neck and collarbone.

"I don't know how to get rid of them, or how to bring them back when they're gone. They also continue all the way down here," you said, trailing your finger down to your skirt.

Amane looked unsure, staring at your patterns.

"Have you told anyone?"

"I've told Oyakata-Sama, but he told me to keep it a secret. I obviously can't do that anymore."

"Do you have any conclusion on how they appeared at all?"

You shifted nervously at everyone's gaze.

"... Yes. I think it occurred when... I turned into a demon."

Gasps rang from mouths, and eyes widened.

"A demon?"

"You turned into a demon?"

"Another godamn secret?"

"Please calm down everyone," Amane said, standing up.

"I understand now. I'll share this information I've learned with Ubuyashiki."