Chapter 35

"This topic will be a bit hard for you to understand so tell me when you get to that." Brandon pointed his finger to a lesson written neatly in his note book that I was flipping through.

"Oh alright."

I smiled and closed the book, turning to leave the living room to get something to eat for both of us. Changing my mind to stay for a second, I faced Brandon again.

"Did you see Zayn at school today?"

"Zayn?" He stood silent for sometime on the couch to remember clearly before answering. "Nope. The basketball team was there at lunch but Zayn wasn't. Thinking about it now, they seemed a bit odd."

"Odd? How so?" The curiosity took over me as well as the concern.

"Well they weren't goofing around like usually. The cafeteria was really quiet and clean because they were eating their lunch quietly." Brandon explained, his elbows resting on his knees.

That's really odd...

The team aren't the type to quiet down even for a second, especially Mark...

Gosh I'm getting so scared now. I gotta meet up Zayn as soon as I can...

Nodding and smiling slightly I left the room for the reason I was going to earlier before changing my mind. I filled up two glasses of grape juice and a bowl of salted chips before going to the living room again. I started writing down the notes that I missed at school while Brandon watched TV, occasionally pointing out my mistakes and helping me to understand the lessons better.

*Bing bing*

"Change that thing already. I hate that sound!" Brandon whined from the couch, irritated.

"That makes me wanna keep it." I stuck out my tongue at him, earning a glare which I ignored to check the message I got.

~Zayn~

- Are you free in the evening?

Yup -

- Can we meet up for sometime?

Sure! -

- Okay. I'll pick you up at 5?

I'll be ready by then -

- Okay

Umm..... Zayn? -

- Yeah?

Are you alright? -

Is something up? -

- I'll tell you when we meet okay?

Okay -

He didn't reply. There was something about his replies that made me worry even more than I already was. Sighing deeply I rubbed my temples before burying my face in my hands.

"Is everything okay? Who was that?" Brandon asked.

"Zayn. I think something's up. I have a gut feeling it's nothing good." I crossed my arms and leaned back on the chair, thinking what could be that Zayn desperately wants to tell me.

"Why do you think that?" Brandon turned off the TV and came to sat across from me in the dining table.

"It's just... I feel like he's not in his usual happy mood. His texts are different. I'm worried as hell." I sighed again, this time more deeply.

"Don't worry I'm sure it's nothing." He took my hand in his and squeezed it reassuringly, his face displaying a slight smile to calm me down.

"I gotta get ready. He said he'll be here at about five." I glanced at the clock and realized it was already half past four. Going to my room I picked out a casual and quickly combed my hair, finishing just in time when the doorbell rang.

"Hey!" I opened the door to see a smiling Zayn. But it wasn't his usual smile. Something about it was melancholic. Maybe because it didn't reach his eyes.

"Hi!" I waved at him and got out of the house.

"Kara your phone!!" Brandon screamed from inside, running towards us to give me my phone that I had forgotten. I thanked him before getting into Zayn's car. Brandon stood at the doorstep watching us leave.

"So, you two together?" Zayn asked, his eyes not leaving the road.

"Yeah... He asked me out on our last experimental date." I replied the shortest I can hoping it wouldn't get awkward.

"Oh cool... Congrats! I'm happy for you."

He spared a glance at me for a brief moment with a smile which I knew was a genuine one. I may have rejected him for my best friend, but it was evident that he was happy for me. If it weren't for those experiments with Brandon, I would've surely fallen for Zayn after a few more dates.

"So what's up?" I popped the question that was bothering me for quite a while.

"Let's have something to eat first. I'll tell you then." He muttered in a low voice that I barely heard it.

God the suspense is killing me! I'm getting more and more worried... Zayn isn't the type to keep the suspense if it isn't something important...

We went into a little restaurant by the road and placed our orders. Sitting in the furthest booth in the restaurant we waited in silence for the food. A waitress came by with the orders and left with a smile after we thanked her.

"Wow the food is amazing. I didn't think this would be that good!" My eyes widen at the punching flavors of the dish.

"I happened to stop by with the team the other day coincidentally and thought I'd come with you one day." Zayn said, looking around the place as if to remember his first time here.

"So what did you want to tell me? I'm kinda... worried..." I spoke my thoughts honestly as I couldn't hold it in anymore.

Zayn heaved a huge sigh and his head hung low at the mention of the matter.

"I uh... A really famous and expert coach is interested in giving me a chance to train with him." He muttered, playing with his food.

"Wow that's a great opportunity!! Congratulations!!!"

I practically screamed with joy earning glares from a few people around us. I muttered 'sorry' and piped down a bit, still excited at the news.

"Why don't you look happy? Aren't you glad you got this amazing and rare chance?" I looked closely at Zayn's face and there wasn't a hint of happiness in his expression.

"I was. I was ecstatic until..." He trailed off.

"Until?"

"Until I got to know that..."

[A/N]
I'm back~
Sorry guys for not updating I was just so immersed in some ffs and kind of forgot I have a story to update😅