Chapter 36

"Until I got to know that I'd have to leave the country for at least two years for the training."

"T-two years?"

I stuttered as I kept my fork down on the plate slowly. Zayn gave a hum in agreement, not his usual happy hum but more of a I-wish-I-could-say-no-but-I-can't hum.

"Um... uh... what was your response?" I asked softly.

"I said to give me two days to think about it. Like, it's a really big decision. I have to leave my family, school, the team and... you..."

His voice was barely above the frequency that was audible to human ear as the last word came out of his mouth. I looked here and there, avoiding his gaze which eventually fell on to the hard wood surface of the table.

"What do you say? Should I take the offer? I gotta decide within today." He crossed his arms over the table and looked at me seriously once again, only this time I didn't look away.

"You asked for two days to decide and you seek help from me on the last day at night." I couldn't help my sarcastic comment that was totally inappropriate for the serious atmosphere we were drowned in but it made Zayn chuckle so I was relieved.

"So will you help me to make the golden decision?" Zayn asked. I sighed.

Zayn was my best friend after Brandon and he became so close to me within just a few weeks. Sure I support him wholeheartedly but this wasn't an easy decision to be made. Two years is not a short period of time and who knows if he could come after that too. Maybe it'll take five years. He'll be all alone in a foreign country with no friends or family.

But on the other hand, this could change his life for good. It would be too good of an opportunity to miss out on.

He would be training under the supervision of the experts and he wouldn't have to worry about his career as a basketball player. All he has to do is be patient for a few years and train hard and his life would be set.

Oh gosh this is so hard!

"You there? Earth to Kara!!" Zayn snapped his fingers in front of my face to bring me to reality as I was spacing out thinking about what my answer should be.

"I know this is a big decision but I think you should go for it." I muttered slowly, occasionally looking at him to get an idea of what was going through his mind.

I hate it when he's expressionless!

"I knew you'd say that." He sighed deeply. I was confused.

"You... knew?"

"Yup. I figured you wouldn't want me to let go of this opportunity just because I want to be with my friends." He flashed a somewhat sad smile at me. "So that's why I told the coach I'd do it. Four days ago when he asked me."

So that's why Brandon said the team looked sad...

Wait-

He was offered this chance four days ago?

Then why is he telling me this now?!

"Why did you wait four days to tell me?" I asked, confused mostly but I was a bit hurt thinking that he didn't feel close to me as much as before to inform me something so important.

"I uh... I'm leaving tomorrow."

What?!

"You're... tomorrow... two years..."

The words I was subconsciously  mumbling didn't make any sense as a sentence but I couldn't care less. I could feel a lump forming in my throat and it was then I realized that no matter how much I understand that this could have the most biggest positive impact on Zayn's life, the departure would always be hard. Tears pooled in my eyes but I didn't avert my gaze away from his eyes.

"See? This is why I didn't tell you beforehand. You'd cry and make me feel bad. It's not like I'm gonna die or anything."

He bent forward and wiped away a tear that was rolling down on my cheek and smiled while looking at me as if he was telling me to do the same.

"Shut up." I said, making him chuckle.

I knew he wanted to show that he's sad to go. I knew this wasn't how he was really feeling. I knew he was trying to be strong so I would think he was enjoying going to a foreign country alone for at least two years. I even knew that he knew I could see through his fake smile. But he just continued to put on his act.

"The food's getting cold. Let's get back to it, shall we?" Zayn smiled again before taking his fork and digging into his food. I did the same silently, swallowing the previously divine food that didn't taste so flavorful at the moment.

We finished our food and paid for it before getting into the car and starting our ride back home in silence until Zayn spoke.

"So the punching incident, the whole school is talking about it."

"She deserved it and I don't regret it. Now don't try to lecture me on that"

I huffed, crossing my hands over my chest thinking Zayn was gonna go all 'don't fight at school' like everyone else.

"Lecture you? I was gonna say that it was really cool! The girls who got bullied by Kacie and Lyla are praising you like a queen. Wait till you return to school." He laughed.

The conversation went on random topics for the rest of the drive which I was really thankful for as it got my mind off the fact that the boy sitting next to me was gonna leave the country for years the next day.

"This is it then." Zayn said as he walked me to the front porch.

"I don't think so. I'll come to the airport tomorrow since I don't have anything to do at home too. When are you leaving?" I tried to keep my voice steady as the moments passed.

"In the evening. I'll text you the time. You're allowed to come only on one condition." He held up his index finger looking like he was gonna state the most important condition of all time.

"What's that?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"You can't cry." He announced.

I tried to smile at him instead of giving a reply. I didn't want to say I won't cry when I was so sure I will. Luckily, Zayn didn't press on that.

"Can I... um... can I hug you?" I asked.

"I was gonna do that anyway."

He said making me chuckle and tucked me into his arms tightly. I wrapped my arms around his waist, my head on his chest. We stayed like that for a moment before pulling away, Zayn sighing as he did so.

"Can I do one last thing now? I don't wanna embarrass you or give out the wrong idea by doing it tomorrow." He asked nervously scratching his nape with one hand while the other one was still resting on my shoulder.

"What is it?" I asked but knew he isn't the type to do something bad so I wasn't scared or anything.

Zayn didn't say a word and placed his other hand on my shoulder too, bending in closer to place a gentle kiss on my forehead. I was a bit surprised but he pulled away and searched my eyes with his for any anger or something along that line as I assumed.

"If you're thinking 'what the heck was that', it's just a friendly kiss." He added hastily.

"I know I know." I smiled and nodded.

"So I'll be going then. See you tomorrow?" He took his steps to the car backwards, facing me all the time.

"See you tomorrow." I repeated his words.

"Remember Kara, no crying!" He shouted from his car window before waving at me and driving off.

I'm so sorry Zayn...

No promises on that one...

[A/N]
OMG Zayn is leaving the country!!! 😲

How did you feel reading this? Make sure to let me know.