Chapter 1: The Audition

Gulf Kanawut was nervous for his second round of auditions. He kept looking down at the paper in his hands trying to refresh the words he had memorized, as he waited in a long lobby, filled with aspiring actors. It had been an hour since Berm, his manager, brought him there along with his friends- Mark, Tia and Senty.

Ever since he started college, his acting career had became stagnant, and that had forced his manager to venture into small independent productions hoping to get him a role. And finally, after countless rejections, this was his first call in months from a production company. And as a struggling actor, he knew very well how big that was, let alone being called again for a second- round of auditions.

He felt his forehead breaking into sweats, it was an opportunity he didn't want to lose. He was aware that the production house he was auditioning for, Thai Boy's Love or TBL, dealt excessively with movies about male homosexuality, but he figured it was a good opportunity at turning his career around and therefore, worth his best shot.

"Are you sure you are up for this role, Gulf?"

He looked up at Mark who was reading the script in his hands. He hesitated and then chuckled nervously. He knew his best friend was a little more than concerned.

He crumpled the script in his hands lightly, making it harder to read. His audition lines were about two boyfriends talking right after they had their first sex. He knew Mark had always been after girls his whole life; it wasn't a shock he was concerned for him.

At first, it was awkward for him too. Then, he thought it would be much easier if he set aside his awareness of his 'gender'. Moreover, the world appeared to be becoming more open- minded lately and he knew he could not afford to be picky when his career was almost dying.

"It's love, Mark". He replied back, defensively

" You do know I'm just making sure you want to do this, right?" Mark's round head made him look very affable despite his somewhat inquisitive look.

"I'm certain". he replied, quietly. He knew Mark cared for his happiness. He just had to assure him it was something he really wanted to try.

"You're definitely not romantic as these characters are. Which one are you playing- Tharn or Type?"

"I'm here for Type. He seems like a cool dude. Besides, these little lines he speaks in this scene surely show he's a hot-headed person".

"Then I bet you'll get the role. You do have that tinge of temper, remember?" Mark jested, giving him a knowing look.

Tia Thrusted his face in between theirs suddenly. "Hey! Is that the casting director?" he whispered.

Gulf followed his gaze to a tall, well-built man walking in through the door. The waiting room erupted in hushed murmurs; everyone except his friends knew very well who the man was.

"No, that's Mew Suppasit." Gulf murmured, as he scanned quickly around the room at all the young actors captivated by the man who just walked in.

Mew Suppasit was no amatuer. Even Gulf knew that, even he had watched one of his work that was included among the BL series Berm forced him to watch the last few weeks. He had noticed the proficiency and the professionalism Suppasit brought to his scenes in the lone series he had seen him in. And weirdly, his presence intimidated Gulf. Was it because he felt the competition had just turned tougher?

"Who? Is he here for the audition as well?" Mark asked looking at Gulf, puzzled. Tia and Senty joined him with the same look.

"He's a terribly good actor and well known in the BL universe", he explained.