Chapter 14: Confrontation

Gulf's approach shadowed over Mew, who was completely speechless now. He had never seen Gulf in such a sullen mood. He wished to justify himself for his behavior but there was none he could think of.

"Mew? " It was Mild's voice. He could hear and feel him approach closer but he didn't react to the call as the flesh under his rib-cage throbbed, his body turned cold, and his mind kept flashing the memories of his favorite person: Gulf.

"What's going on? " This time he felt a weight on his shoulder which helped him escape from his pensive state, as he glanced at the person to which the voice belonged. He was right. It was Mild.

"Is everything alright?" queried Mild.

No. Nothing was right.

"Yeah, I just came out to see Gulf off. He just left on a taxi."

"Ah, I've just informed Mame. Is he alright though? "

"He appeared fine to me" lied Mew not willing to discuss much on the issue.

"He is different.... isn't he?" mumbled Mild as the two men turned their way back to the hall.

" Different.... What do you mean? "

"Well, he just doesn't seem to get along with people much. He clearly does not talk with anyone comfortably... unless, well it's you". Hearing this from Mild fluttered his mind but at the same time, sunk himself in guilt. It was just another reminder for him that he had debacle himself in proving himself trustworthy for Gulf. "It's amazing how he still travels by taxis without a care. He really should take care of himself better; I worry for him" concluded Mild.

"He really is different, isn't he?" smirked Mew, "You know Mild, yes, he's not like anyone else. He's one of a kind". Although, he was speaking with Mild, he felt, he was assuring himself instead.

"Mew... " Mild called out slowly lowering his tone while the older men poured his eyes on the younger companion, "If it's about Arkie, it's old story, you know."

Mew listened in silence as they finally passed through the doorway to enter the hall. The players for both the team were assembling for the final basketball match. And on the sideline, stood Arkie, cheering for the red team. Mew glimpsed at the timid boy who, once upon a time was his favorite person; the boy to whom he gave so much; the boy he wanted to protect and care only to receive an agonizing heart break because of his down-guarded fragile heart.

But, still, he would never blame Arkie; it was never the young man's fault; rather, it was his own stupidity for allowing himself to dilute professionalism and personal emotions; he forgot to follow his own set of rules: never be honest in the industry. And that was what he wanted to protect Gulf from. Arkie reminded him of his failure, his incompetency but also taught him to never be emotionally vulnerable. This was the reason why he had been learning to live with people without attachments because he was terrified of people's capability in uplifting and dragging down someone.

And sadly, when he pushed people away, most people ended up liking there.

Wait, but Gulf isn't Arkie, he retaliated in his mind. There was massive variance between Gulf and Arkie; be it physically, mentally and emotionally. Gulf was his own person. He, unlike anyone he met, never seek himself any extra attention, other than being serious in his work. He had always been respectful and had never even once invaded his space and security. While everyone in the industry dribbles their way out for their own advantage, by one way or the other, Gulf stayed true to himself and his roots.

But it has only been a week since he met Gulf. It would rather be naïve of him if he judged people after knowing them for a week; he argued. Still, in his defense again, Gulf was not even an exact novice in the industry; he had been modelling since his early teens; had appeared in real time series although they were of small roles; professionally, Gulf was capable, yet, he stayed grounded, humble and treasured every simple thing life threw at him. But, was Gulf trust worthy? He trusted Arkie; he trusted his father but what did he received in the end?