Chapter 2: Their Private Lives

A couple of years ago, 27 year old Mew Suppasit could have been considered a success. But it has been one long year since he shared a spotlight with the so called 'stars'.

With the intervention of his doctoral program in Industrial engineering, it was tough pursuing an acting career. Therefore, it still felt surreal that he was chosen as one of the leading actor in a hyped drama: TharnType the Series.

Months ago, he has considered joining  the industry again, but he never thought he would find a leading role so easily. Moreover, a lot of things were written and said about him by the media and he thought, a comeback was almost impossible. His image was no longer perfect yet, that didn't slowed down his love for acting and art.

"Here, read the novel", His Manager, Boss interrupted his deep thoughts. Boss was not only his manager but he was the only person who had managed him throughout his career. He was more like a family.

"Should I really be reading this?" Mew asked flipping through the book which clearly didn't look anything close to his engineering textbooks.

"It could help you get into the character. Besides, the workshop starts only on Monday. Reading it means preparing". Boss answered rolling down the car windows for him.

Suddenly a memory lingered in his mind with the word "workshop". He was curious of the young man selected to play 'Type', his character's love interest.

"Do you have more information on the kid who is supposed to play my love interest? Gulf Kanawut, was it?" he asked, intrigued by the vague nature the young man had displayed in the audition.

"He doesn't have a lot on his portfolio... Perhaps, he is just starting out." Boss answered.

"The Kid has some talent. He seems well likeable".

"He does have a good looking feature".

"Do you think he's better looking than me?" goofily Mew spat at his loyal manager who looked utterly surprised.

Noticing Boss' struggle to answer his weird question, Mew burst out laughing aloud. He enjoyed messing around with Boss and his driver, Leo whenever he gets time.

Mew had always shared a fatherly-son relationship with Boss ever since his father walked out on him and his younger sister when he was only eleven. This made him share a strong bond with his mother while Boss filled in the missing father figure.

On reaching his home, Mew decided to do a little research on the novel, the writer and the production company. That was when he learnt that the production did not had any familiar names. Monday was indeed going to be a long day of meeting new people.

"So, when does the shooting starts?"

As the Suppasit's family finally gathered round the dining table for dinner, his mother enthusiastically begun the conversation.

"Oh, you landed a role, brother?" Achara, the lady of the house who was never at home being a flight attendant was finally home for the weekend and this made Mew excited to share the news with the two ladies in his house.

"I did. The workshop starts Monday".

"Congratulations. So, what's it about?"

"It's the role where I am good at". Mew cooed light heartedly as he engulfed the fried chicken which his mother masters in.

"Another man again...?."

"Yes, this time he could be someone around your age"

"I am not interested in his age. I just hope he's nothing close to someone we used to know". Achara mourned lowly hoping she hasn't disappointed his brother. It was true Mew went through a lot and she somehow became protective of her elder brother.

"Let's not bring up the past now" Mrs. Suppasit calmly suggested as the table quite down. Somehow the silence irked her but as she screened the face of her children, she knew they were thriving in life and she was a proud mother of two.

As the night turned late, Mew on his bed couldn't stop reading the book he was offered by Boss. It was true, it was a story revolving around two young boys, Tharn and Type who started out with hatred but eventually ended up in love. But what Mew didn't expect was the contents with rape, molestation and homophobia.

He wondered whether all of it would be depicted on the screen or would rather just whitewash to please the audience. As an adult and a man who had grown watching news, he know the reality was not all sweet and kind and he found the idea of dealing with real issues fascinating. However, he wondered if Gulf being his first major role would handle it well. Although Mew wasn't sure about the production's plan with the script and the screenplay, from the perks of the novel, Mew felt the need to get closer with his leading partner.

***

"Hey, Mark stop attacking the tower"

Meanwhile, Gulf couldn't stop shouting at his best friend as he kept pressing his cell phone screen with his fingers similar to someone running for his life.

"Gulf, shoot the plane, the plane". The other young man responded back who was in the same position as his best friend.

Mobile games were what these young boys enjoyed and they played as if their life depended on it.

"Gulf! Mark!" Mrs. Kanawut entered the room where the two young boys were battling their online war-like with much agility and aggressiveness. "I thought you said about a football game to be played tomorrow". She said placing a tray with orange juices on the table beside her son and sternly looked at the boys hoping to gain their attention.

But her voice went unheard in the room.

"Gulf!"

"Last game, mom, last game."

"I cannot believe you, Gulf...you just had your first major role and this is how you're preparing?"

"I'll be fine, Mom".

And that was how the Kanawut family had seen Gulf and Mark spend their weekends. Although at times, her patience runs out, she could never be angry at him. Her son rarely had the time to spend with the family and thus, when he did, she wanted him to be happy.

***

"One minute left! Just one more"

The much awaited game day finally arrived and the atmosphere in the college ground was surreal as the tension built up between the two opposing team as well as the supporters. One of the team needed a tie-breaker of one goal each.

It was until the cheers and the roars in the ground loudened as Mark, the captain of the Industrial Education and Technology flicked the ball towards Gulf, who was playing as the central attacking mid, swiftly sliced the defense and passed it to their main striker, who by a simple touch rolled the ball into the back of the net.

"GOAL!!!"

The cheers exhilarated as the crowds in the corners of the football field jumped and whistled together with the players on the ground. It was the winning goal, a last minute goal and nothing could stop the adrenaline from pumping mercilessly.

Gulf was a happy man that day and he knew his life was driving in the right direction. He felt as though, he had everything he wanted and needed in life until he saw his ex-girlfriend, Sally disappear in the far distance holding the hands of James.

His heart felt a thud, a yearning and began missing the feel of her hands but there was nothing he could say and do but to make amends with his past and let her go. He know he has to be happy for her.

Note: This was just a chapter to show how their normal lives normally are :) Hopefully, you all enjoyed it. Kindly, do leave some comments if you want to :)