28- Listen To My Story And Tell Me I'm Fine

Water was rushing beneath us, a steady flow of sounds calming my mind as I leaned against the bridge's railing, the slowly setting sun feeling warm on my skin.

The coffee I held was slowly but steadily warming my up fingers and I allowed myself to just indulge in the feeling of warm and calmness.

The pretty man next to me was doing the same, chocolate eyes trained onto some point on the horizon, orange sun specks reflecting in them, creating a dreamy flair around his face.

"Don't you... get scared that I'll hurt you?" Hoseok croaked.

"No." I muttered, watching the small waves hitting the shore.

"Why not? I'm a monster."

"I've had demons in my mind and you, dear, are the angel that saved me from them." I whispered, "Not all monsters are bad. You were the one teaching me that, remember?"

I watched his left hand reaching out but retreating quickly and I smiled, stopping him from retreating fully by taking his hand in mine.

"You really want to change, don't you?" Hoseok breathed out with a gentle smile.

"I want to figure this out." I retorted, "I don't know myself Hoseok. Ever since my parents died. I'm my own stranger, because I could never see myself within all those shadows."

He gently squeezed my hand, "I will do anything I can to help you, Flower."

A warm feeling spread inside me. A feeling of hope and security. He was being honest.

By the time I drank all of my coffee it was dark already and Hoseok stretched his arms over his head, yawning, "Let's leave, Flower, it's getting cold."

My eyes followed the street down the bridge, being swallowed in complete darkness, "Can you- walk me home?" I knew, if I was alone, the shadows would come back.

An arm sneaked around my shoulders, Hoseok humming happily, "Any other option wouldn't've been valid anyways. Come on!"

◆♤❦

Chungha was home already, because of course she was, and I didn't know why I was feeling like sending Hoseok away, like he was some kind of secret, slowing down the closer we got to her house.

Hoseok, apparently, didn't feel the same as he reached out his hand for the keys as soon as we stood in front of the door, unlocking it happily when I gave them to him.

It took me a moment to realize why I felt so uncomfortable; this shit felt like I was bringing my boyfriend home to my parents for the first time. Ugh.

I tried to lead Hoseok past the living room as fast as possible, but of course Chungha saw us, a surprised "oh?" leaving her lips.

"Good evening ma'am." Hoseok greeted her grinning, "Just wanted to drop her off, m gonna leave right away."

Chungha stood in the doorframe, muttering a dumfounded, "O-Okay."

The boy insisted on bringing me all the way to my room, and although I knew he did that to assure me, it felt nothing but awkward.

"So, uhm-"

"Y/N?" Hoseok looked serious all of a sudden, "I... don't exactly know what happened to your parents, but-"

"They died in a car accident." I provided helpfully, words bubbling out of my mouth without a filter.

"Oh- well-"

"I survived and was barely hurt but since we were on a completely abandoned country road and I was only five, no one came for a long time." Why was I saying this? "So I was just kinda left there, between the dead bodies of my parents for a couple of hours."

Hoseok sighed, my story visibly paining him and I felt his arms wrap around me, "You see Y/N, bad things happen to good people. And those things might haunt them their entire lives. Don't allow them to haunt you or the shadows have won."

"I- I'll try." I whispered and tensed when I felt his lips softly on my forehead.

"I know you will." He smiled, "Good night, Flower."

I just stood there, motionless, watching him help himself out.

"He was the boy why you were so down, right?" Chungha startled me out of my zoned out state and I nodded warily.

She breathed out a chuckle and walked past me, slumping down on my bed, "He's a smart boy, I'll have to give him that. Didn't even notice that he knew you when we talked about you in the grocery store." She looked up, searching my eyes, "Was he also the boy you spent so much time with lately?"

I nodded, sitting down next to her, "He... is helping me a lot. I'm grateful."

"I guess I am too." She mumbled thoughtfully, "You changed a lot since you got to know him."

Her warm gaze lingered on me and she reached out to gently push a strand of hair behind my ears, "I hope he won't hurt you again like this. I know his face now, he'll better be on alert."

I giggled, "You sound like my mom!"

Chungha grinned, "Am I not just that?"

I quieted, looking up at her with big eyes. That was... unexpected.

I felt a lump form in my throat, "I'd like you to be my mom." I croaked.

I felt protected when her arms wrapped around me, being engulfed in her warmth and scent.

"I'd love to call you my daughter, honey." 

Aaaand here we go.

My pathetic ass cried again.

It was just so much lately.

Chungha was there for me and Hoseok was there and saved me whenever I felt like being saved and I've never had so much warmth in my live.

I'd only known coldness and shadows for so long, but my live had become brighter, worth to be lived.

It was almost overwhelming and I was scared that, once I had gotten used to it, I'd lose it again.

But the thought of losing this wonderful woman who was hugging me right now wouldn't quite fit into my brain.

"Thanks, m-mom." The word sounded strange on my tongue. Strange, yet familiar.

Hoseok was right. I could fight the shadows.

◆♤❦

this was kinda soft I'm sad

xx