twenty four

Elle McBriar
July 31st, 4 months and 19 days after the first zombie report

I slowly peeled my eyes open, seeing the sun shining through the curtains. 

I felt arms around me and looked up to see Paxton. His handsome face. His eyes were closed, lips were pouted slightly and his face was smooshed into the pillow. His arms were around me though, still holding me tight and close to his body.

I could hear people walking back and forth across the hallway. The light creaks in the wooden hallway were warning enough.

I leaned my head on one of my hands and held myself up, my hair falling over my face. It's not creepy to watch people sleep. It's peaceful. 

My fingers had a mine of their own as they traced his arms. The grooves of his muscles, the small freckles and scars he had embedded in his skin. They traveled down to his hands, when they stopped and retreated back to his upper-forearm.

I'm jealous. He has such long eyelashes. All the guys do, Riley too! I want their eyelashes. They can swap for mine.

I yawned, pulling the sleeve of my shirt up a little higher onto my shoulder. I felt movement and stayed still. Then I felt fingers moving to my hair, Paxton. He shifted the hair off my shoulder and onto my back where it stayed, a few wispy bits sticking out in all different directions.

I giggled, embarrassed at the stray hairs. 

He smiled, covering his mouth as he yawned, "We should probably get up." Paxton said, removing the sheet from his waist. It was then I realised he was wearing basketball shorts. All I ever see him wear is pants. It's weird. 

"Yeah, you're probably right." I said, an idea coming to mind. I know it's risky, but they're boys, I'm a girl. They're gonna have to get used to me walking around the house half naked...

Flipped my shirt over my head, I was left in my sports bra. I know it's bad to sleep with bras on but I didn't have time to take it off last night. I slipped on a loose tank top and switched my pajama shorts with denim ones. 

Turning around, Paxton walked behind me, as I lead the way into the kitchen.

"Today is gonna be a scorcher." Alex says as he notices me and Paxton.
"I want to go swimming!" I say excitedly, saying hello to Riley, "Yeah, where? Half the cities underwater, it's New York." Gage said sarcastically. I frowned, "I know, but what about beaches. Or lakes, or rivers? Or swimming pools. Anywhere, please?" I pouted, playing the puppy dog eyes.

"It's not a horrible idea." Alex agreed, taking my side, "Guys, were in New York for crying out loud, the city is literally sitting on water." I scoffed.

Gage looked at Paxton, "What about our secret spot we used to go to as kids, the uh, Ausable river?" Gage said, "Oh my God dude I totally forgot about that place!" Paxton laughed, "Yeah we should go, it's only an hours drive, tops!" 

I started to get excited as we talked about the trip. "I can bring the snacks!" I offered, "Alright fine. We leave in an hour." Gage sighed, finally agreeing. 

* * * 

The hour finally arrived. I was busy packing snacks, drinks, towels and sunscreen into the van. I'm so excited, I haven't been swimming in ages. 

I heard footsteps behind me and turned around, Gage walked out with Riley in his arms, "I've got to buckle the little man in." I nodded, continuing the stuff everything into the back. 

Of course Paxton came out with a bag full of weapons. And I don't blame him. But to me it just ruins the whole 'summer vibe'. But he would yell at me if I told him not to bring them.

I ran back into the house, slipping a grey sweatshirt over my chest as I locked my window, closed the curtain and closed my bedroom door.

Alex locked up the house and I dove into the front seat, where Paxton was just buckling up. I'm so excited. I'm swimming ready. 

"Someone's excited." He said, "Are you kidding? I haven't been swimming since summer last year. And this might be my last time, ever." I kicked my feet excitedly as Paxton laughed at me, starting the engine.

The drive was... entertaining nonetheless. Gage and Alex argued, as per usual. Paxton kept quiet, as per usual. And I was bored, as per usual. I stared out the window, the closer we got, the hotter and sunnier it got. Also, the more trees I discovered.

Paxton turned down a gravel driveway, through the trees. I opened the window and I could hear the glorious sound of the water. The sound of it crashing in my ear. I'm so eager to go swimming!

As soon as Paxton parked I jumped out, opening the back of the van. I grabbed the snacks and drinks, carrying the snacks bag around my shoulder.

Paxton grabbed the towels and Gage grabbed the sunscreen, while Alex held the baby.

"Lead the way, Maestro." I squealed. 

When he revealed where we were, my breath was quite literally taken from me. My mouth was wide open. This was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. Dark green trees with depth beyond miles scattered the whole place. An oak bridge stood tall and proud over the water. Moss green rocks were placed along the riverbed. 

I dipped my toes in, it's not too cold.

Once the boys showed me to their swimming hole, we placed the stuff on dry land, away from the water, "Holy crap this place is magical." I whispered. 

I chucked my shoes on a small wooden ledge that was nailed like a bridge. I took of my denim shorts and threw off my sweatshirt, my black bikini on full display. I knew I packed a bikini for a reason. I found a tree and climbed up to it, almost slipping a few times. But I made it. I hung onto the branch, swinging off and into the water.

I splashed right underneath, the cold water numbing everything I felt. This is pure bliss. I came up for air, standing on the rocks beneath me. It went up to my waist, as I pushed my hair back, the brown locks falling over my shoulder. I rubbed my eyes as I saw the guys jump in after me. 

Riley was sitting happily in his baby carrier, eating carrots.

"It's warmer than last year bro." Gage panted, swimming over to me, "It's called Global Warming." 

"I love it here." I relaxed, laying on my back. The sun was still horrifically hot as it burned the back of my neck. I got out after a good 20 minutes to go put sunscreen on. I put some on before we left, but it's probably washed off. 

I sat next to Riley as I placed a towel underneath me, rubbing sunscreen into my wet legs. I rubbed the remaining onto Riley's hands, face and show-able skin. You can never be too careful.

I sunbathed by the rocks, feeling the sun tan me again. I listened to the boys play happily, splashing each other as they begged me to come in. I refused, silently laying on my stomach as I kicked my legs up, flipping through a book I'd read a dozen times already.

But this is the life...

This is the life I wish to live.

* * * 

heyoo

how'd you like this one??

i thought i'd give you all a break from the drama and zombies before the I N T E N S E drama arries. it's stirring, cooking up a storm :) i hope you're ready!

happy reading.