seventy

Elle McBriar
September 7th, 6 months and 57 days since the last zombie report

It's way into midnight now. I'm being guided through the tents, torches and fire being used as a pathway.

I'm completely numb, cold, shivering.

All I want is Paxton. His arms, his warmth, him.

They took Penny away. I told them what happened to her arm, that she was impales by a knife and I had to remove it in order to wrap it.

They told me it was okay.

I was taken to a tent, a blanket wrapped around my shoulders. But I was left alone.

I got up and followed the sound of males talking. It was still raining and dark, but I made do.

I need to find my friends.

"Have any of you seen Elaine? Paxton?"

Because if I find Elaine, I find Paxton.

"- No. She's been gone for almost 2 days now. We- I need to find her."

I pushed open a tent flap to find the love of my life. A sling around his left arm. He looks like he hasn't slept in days.

Eyes are red and puffy, swollen. Hair is messy and long.

"Paxton?" I said in the biggest voice I could.

He whipped his head around, eyes widening as he ran towards me.

I was already crying as I opened my arms to him, running to him. I felt like a child- a little girl running to her father after she falls off her bike.

Paxton held me, comforted me. He held me so tight, even with one arm.

"Where the hell have you been?" His voice broke, a tiredness tone to it. "I'll explain later. I just- I need you right now, please."

"I'm right here baby. I'm right here."

* * *

I must've passed out or been so tired that I fell asleep because I just woke up. 

"Hey- you're awake." Paxton's soothing voice said.

He's comforting me, his hand is weaving its way through my hair, brushing the strands and sending shivers down my spine. 

"I'm awake." I yawned. I was laying on a mattress, a thin blanket covering my body. Paxton was next to me.

We didn't say anything, I didn't have anything to say, nor did I really want to speak. I never want to talk again, ever.

I closed my eyes again, pulling the blanket above my head, blocking out noise and voices. I just want to sleep. 

"Elle." A voice said, I internally groaned, peeking my head out, it's Elaine. "Penny is asking for you." She said. I nodded, "Tell her I'll be there in a second." 

The sun is beginning to rise as a cold breeze casts over us. 

I shiver.

"Come here." Paxton's arms are around me in an instant, well, his good arm is. His body feels warm, it feels like home. 

"I was so scared I was going to lose you, a-again. You always disappear and I never know where you are." His voice breaks and I hold him tighter, "And I feel useless because I can't do anything." He whispers into my ear, voice coarse and raw.

"I feel like I don't deserve you. I promised I'd keep you safe and I can't do that. You always seem to slip from my fingertips." I felt a tear trickle down my face and I swipe it off, "One minute you're here, the second you're gone. And everybody is worried." 

I pull away from him, noticing his bloodshot eyes and weary expression. A tear rolls down his perfect face. I use my thumb to wipe it away, kissing his cheek and pressing our foreheads together, "I love you Elle, and I hate that I can't help you or- or be with you when you need me." He stuttered, his gorgeous brown eyes filling with tears.

"Paxton- I love you. And I hate that you doubt yourself because of me." I whisper gently, "It is not your fault so don't you dare blame yourself, do you understand me?" His touch is so soft, like he's trying not to damage me, "I'm okay, you're okay. We're safe for now, alright?" 

"For now? What do you mean for now?" His face is filled with worry, I smile, "There's nothing in harms way at the moment. Who knows, maybe we'll get attacked by a few zombies in the near future but right now, right now- together, we're safe. I promise!"

I took his face in mine and kissed him ever so gently, hoping to take away his pain and guilt and suffering. "I have to go meet Penny but I'll be back soon okay? You should go get your dressing changed so it doesn't get infected, okay?"

He nodded. I stood up as did he. I walked away as his fingertips slipped out of mine. The warmth I once felt now fading away. 

I limped towards the medical tent, pushing open the flap where I saw Penny smiling happily, a rosy tint to her cheeks.

"Hi there." I said, her face lighting up as she saw me, "Howdy." 

"Hi Gage." I say, he pulls me into a crushing hug, "You're so stupid. How did you manage to get kidnapped again again?" I laughed, patting his back, "I missed you too bud." 

He let me go, "So I see you've met Penny." I smirk, "Yeah I um, came in to get some antibiotics for Alex and ran into her." Penny smiled, "He's been keeping me company." She giggled.

I looked down at the ground, averting my smile, "I see, cool. What's up with Alex?" I ask, "He got stung by a bee. You know him, dramatic and all." I laugh, "Tell him I'll come see him later."

Gage said goodbye, lingering a little longer until I force him to leave.

"So, how're you feeling?" I ask, squeezing her forearm. She shrugs, "Could be better but, I'm okay. I met Megan and she offered to talk to me if I needed too." I smiled, "Megan's lovely, I'd definitely take her up on that offer." 

Penny swung her feet, "What are we going to do? Do we tell them?" She asks with a worried look, "We have too. I mean, if what Sophia said is true, and everyone here has family turned into those... creatures, they could all be coming for our necks."

Penny nodded, "I mean I barely survived Sophia's torture. She captured me as I was walking along the highway." I nodded, "Well, you're safe here with us. I'm sure the others would be more than happy to have you tag along." I smiled.

She grinned, "I've met your friends, Gage and Alex and everyone, they seem really nice." I smile, "They are."

"Knock knock." Someone interrupts. I turn around, seeing Tracy come in. I stood a little closer to Penny, self-aware of everyone around us now.

"Look, we don't agree with what Sophia did. And we all know that saving our families was a lost cause. Besides, they're dead anyway. But you guys need to be careful, there are a few others around here who aren't as nice."

Tracy left and I felt scared and shocked, "W-what did she mean by that?" Penny asked. 
I shook my head, "I don't know, but I have to find out." 

I was about to leave, "Wait, I don't want to be here alone."

True, I don't want her to incase something happens.

"Okay you know what, find Elaine and tell her to get Paxton, Alex and Gage and meet me in 5 minutes." Penny nodded, hopping off the bench.

Life or death baby.

* * * 

heyy guysss

i don't know how long i'm gonna continue writing this book, but i love it so much so it definitely won't be finishing yet :)