fourty

Elle McBriar 
August 4th, 5 months and 23 days since the last zombie report

We packed up the house. The entire thing. 

We took the solar panels off the roof, unloaded the cupboards and stripped the beds of sheets.

It was officially moving day! Again...

We realised we needed two cars and Paxton and Gage were in search of another car, hopefully a van so we can fit more stuff. I was loading up the van with Alex, each of us making trips into the house one by one so we can pack and load the van.

I was inside Paxton and I's room, shoving my stuff into my pack and packing up Riley's stuff.

I headed outside, my mind racing.

"So, you and Paxton huh?" Alex said abruptly, making me choke on air, "I uh-, what?" I looked up at him, blue eyes furrowed, "It's obvious. You two can't stay away from each other." He chuckled sadly, that tugged at my heartstrings, "Alex, I'm so sorry." I said, guilt eating away at me, "Don't be. I understand. We can't choose who we love, right?" I smiled, "Yeah. But love? I'm not sure about that." 

Alex scoffed, "Whatever. He can't keep his eyes off you and you can't keep your eyes off him, you two are in love, even if you're too afraid to admit it." He shrugged, I punched his shoulder and continued to pack the van, loading as much as I could.

I hear a rumbling up the driveway and I peek my head around, seeing Paxton step into view. He smiles at me as I smile back, going over to him, "Sick ride." I said, ogling the new car they have, a a new model, silver, not sure what kind. But it's sure as hell sexy!

We headed back into the house, packing up the last bit of stuff we can find before we meet for a debrief in the driveway.

I tie my laces on my converse as Gage speaks, "Me and Alex ride together, you and Elle ride together, cool?" He says, indicating to Paxton, "Yep." "We'll take Riley in the first half. Stop every few hours or so to stretch, pee, you know the deal."

I stood up, hands on my hips, "I refuse to pee standing." I said, the boys laughed, "You don't have a choice unfortunately." I frowned, "Don't rub it in my face!" I growl.

"We stop in Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah then we get to Los Angeles." Gage said, "I'm surprised you know all the states bro, you failed History." Alex said, Paxton laughed, "Yeah and you failed Geography!"

Hugging Gage and Alex before saying goodbye to the house, I get into the passenger seat, Paxton offering to drive first half. We tail behind the boys, casually driving.

This car is nice, leather interior, soft mesh seats, new technology. I press air-con and almost die at how cool it is. I lean back into the seat, staring out the window. Feeling drowsy after a while, I close my eyes, dreaming of a zombie-free world.

* * *

I wake up a little while later, my mouth dry and scratchy. I realise it's because the air conditioning is on. I go to switch it off, seeing Paxton smile at me, "Where are we?" I ask. I prayed that we're out of New York and closer to Los Angeles, "We're still driving to Ohio, you were out for like an hour." I huffed, crossing my arms, "I'm bored. What do people talk about on road trips?" I sigh, looking at Paxton, "I don't know, normal people stuff." He chuckled.

I played with the hem of my shirt, "Hey uh- I didn't say anything embarrassing last night did I?" I said, his face changed and then he masked it over, "You just told me that Alex kissed you, that's all." I facepalmed, "Shit. I'm sorry!" I giggled, "Don't sweat it." 

We were quiet for a little while until his hand found it's way to my thigh. He stroked the bony part of my knee, holding onto the steering wheel with one hand as I watched him keep a straight face. Focusing Paxton is a sexy Paxton. I swooned. 

New York to Ohio was an 8 hour drive. I am so not ready for this!

I packed a magazine and a book though, some reading material. But I got bored. "Paxton?" I sighed, "Yes Elle?" He smirked, "I'm bored." He shook his head, "I knew you were going to say that." He mumbled, "If it really is the end of the world-" I started off, "Do you think we'll make it out alive?" I asked. He didn't say anything.

His hand gripped the steering wheel while the other remained on my knee, "I think we can try." He said finally. I suddenly felt sad, knowing that we might not make it. I want to live! Even though there's nothing to live for...

"Can you promise me something?" I ask, "What's that?" He asked, glancing at me slightly, "When we get to California and we're too late to fight them off, promise me you won't let me die a virgin." Paxton coughed, almost losing control of the steering, "Jesus Elle! Don't say that to me when I'm driving." I chuckled, "I'm sorry but, just please. Promise me." 

He nodded, "I promise I won't let you die a virgin." He chuckled, kissing my knuckles. 

A crackle came in from the radio and I picked it up, "How're you guys doing for gas?" Alex asked, I glanced over, seeing it was over halfway full, "We're good, how are you guys?" I asked, "We're good. We might need to stop in the town two towns from Brickwood though, just to stock up in case!" He said, "Okay, let us know when!" 

I turned off the radio, dropping it into the glove compartment, "That's the most excitement I've had in hours." I joked.

I eventually did shut up. Paxton was so focused on the road and didn't give me any attention I just gave up. I stared out the window - which actually did pass a lot of time. I was happy though because Paxton's hand remained on my thigh, occasionally stroking it once in a while.

I want to stay like this, happy and free from the zombie world.

"How do we even know where this supposed machine is? How do we even know it's a machine?" Paxton asked, "University Of California." I said, "When Tyler was..." I paused at the memory, "When I was down there with Tyler, he said he was using my blood to put into the machine and make more zombies. I have no idea what he means or if there even is a machine. For all we know there is no-" Paxton put his hand over my chest as he stepped on the brakes, stopping suddenly.

I looked in front of us at the stopped car and we quickly got out, seeing what Gage and Alex were staring at. I gasped, covering my mouth and quickly looking away.

Another human, dead. In the middle of the road. This time, completely stripped naked. Stomach was slashed and had blood pouring out, eyes were gauged and bloodied. The nose, limbs and head was bruised and, snapped. It was a horrible sight.

Paxton pulled me to him as I hid my face in his chest, "What the hell?" I whispered, my voice cracking, "Where do these bodies keep coming from?" Alex said, "Who cares. We have to keep driving or we'll be in this same position." Gage said, rushing us all back into the car.

We drove around the bodies, hearing the crunch of weeds and branches under the tires as we go past it. I was silent, so was Paxton. His hand was holding mine and he squeezed my fingers. I smiled sadly at him, "Promise me you won't die." Paxton smiled, "I promise I won't die, Elle." 

I shook my head, completely serious, "No you need to promise me Paxton. I-I can't lose you too, please." A tear rolled down my cheek, he nodded, "I give you my word!"

* * * 

hii

we're getting closerrrrr