seventy four

Elle McBriar
September 9th, 6 months and 59 days since the first zombie report

We cleaned up at the beach and headed on our way. We spent a little extra time just chilling on the sand. Talking and laughing. It was magical.

But now we needed to find somewhere to crash for a bit before we all attempt to drive.

I mean, some of us have been awake for almost 48 hours.

We disagreed on most places, mainly because they were either too small, had not enough beds or smelled gross.

"Guys, where are we going to find a place to stay in San Diego that doesn't smell like beach or zombie? A hotel?"

"What about a beach house?"

We finally settled on a small beach house on Pacific Beach. They had small wooden houses laying on the shoreline as well on the Pier. We took three of them each, housing all of us.

Alex, Megan and Riley. Gage and Penny, and then Paxton and I.

"Wow, it feels nice to be able to sleep!" Paxton laughed, looking around the shabby beach house. I nod, "I know right? It's nice to sit down."

It was small. One bedroom, one kitchen, one bathroom kind of thing, but it's nice. It's very open, I can hear the waves and gulls and the splash of the water against the pillars.

It shakes every now and then but it's nice.

"Come here, I just want to hold you." Paxton mumbled. I fell into him. We were on the couch, no desire for sleeping in a bed right now.

The couch was blue, wooden and slightly uncomfortable.

I was sitting on his lap, head on his chest. "I want to stay like this forever, I don't wanna move." I sighed, yawning. "I know. Me too. And we will, one day." I scoff, "When? When there's no longer a threat for zombies, or we're not being hunted down or-or the world has gone back to being okay?"

I felt myself become overwhelmed with emotions and I felt tears sting my eyes, "We're never going to be able to just not think. Not w-worry. We'll always been turning our heads, looking for danger i-it's not right, Pax. It's not supposed to be like this!"

Paxton's hold on me tightened as I ran my hands through his hair. He didn't say anything. Neither did I. Because we both don't know what to say.

"Do you think Penny and Gage are doing it?" Paxton smirked, breaking the silence. I laugh and slap his chest, "Probably. They couldn't keep there eyes off each other even if they tried." I giggled, "Speaking of doing it."

I squealed as Paxton flipped us over so I was laying on the couch. He was on top of me and then his lips were colliding into mine. I moaned and wrapped my legs around his torso.

He pushed himself into me and I smiled, my confidence growing.

Paxton's rough but gentle hand slides up my shirt as he tugs at my shirt, "Off." He says in between kisses, "Okay Mr Demanding." He growls and I feel myself get hot.

I take off my shirt and I'm left in my bra from earlier, which is basically dry now. I fling the shirt to the ground and now our skin is flush against each other.

And for a tiny moment, I forget about everything. The zombies, Elaine, being hunted. I forget about killing Sophia, the pain and guilt outweighing every other emotion I feel.

I don't feel numb, I barely feel anything, but it's there.

Love.

* * *

I see Sophia's face flash through my mind. Her deep, sullen eyes, widowed and worried face. Her sunken cheeks, manic hair and sultry voice.

I watch as she falls to the ground again and again and again. I replay the same moment, firing the bullet and watch her go down.

I feel the same sickening feeling I feel. The guilt of taking someone's life and the pain of it all. I feel myself slowly slipping away. Into a mindset unrecognisable.

I don't know where I am, but there's a voice pulling me out, telling me to wake up.

"- WAKE UP!"

And I do. I open my eyes, wide and flushed cheeks.

I feel myself sitting up, a hand supporting my weight.

I feel a breeze against my stomach and look down, I'm only wearing a shirt.

"W-what happened? Are you okay?" I ask Paxton, who's features are wild, "Am I okay? Jesus- are you okay? You had me scared, woman."

I smiled, "Why? I'm fine." I swallowed the fear that gripped at my throat, "You were shaking and sweating in your sleep, I was worried. The last time that happened you had a seizure."

I clambered out of bed where we once lay, almost tripping over the sheets, "I'm fine. I'm gonna have a shower before we go."

Paxton nodded, but he didn't leave until I closed the bathroom door.

Snap out of it Elle! You need to stop! Sophia is dead, she isn't coming after you. These nightmares are just like the ones with Tyler and Jared!

The water drips down my hair, washing away the salt and sweat from earlier. It's only a quick one, due to the fact that the waters cold and we need to leave really soon!

My stomach grumbles as I tie up my shoelace, taking Paxton's hand as he hoists me up.

"Hungry?" He smiles, I nod, "We'll find something to eat soon, I'm feeling a bit pekish." I snort, "Pekish? What are you, 50?"

"Afternoon sex addicts." Megan smirks, I feel my fact heat up, "Who're you talking too? Us or them?" Gage says, appearing from my left side. Paxton pinched my arm, "I told you."

"Okay, what's the plan guys? Because I'm hungry and I want to leave. This place smells like fishy pizza." Alex whines, "Well, we need to find a car or a van or something that we can drive. I'm thinking we head to Arizona and New Mexico for a week or so, let things die down before we make any major plans."

We all agree, "But seriously guys, do we have any idea where we're gonna go? We can't go back to New York, that's the first place they'll look." I frown, "If they're even looking." Paxton reassures me, I smile.

"Washington? Chicago? Come on guys, somewhere classy please?" Penny pleads, "I want somewhere that has a bookstore."

I stand next to Penny, "I second that offer. We need something to occupy our time."

Penny highfives me, "Us girls gotta stick together. We're outnumbered here."

"Theres 3 of us and 3 of you, you'll be fine." Gage rolls his eyes, "Including Riley. Plus, who knows what gender this baby is." Megan says, raising her eyebrows at Alex.

"First step, finding transportation!"

* * *

hello!

this book is almost over and im so sad! i love writing this book so much and it's such a shame to finish it and not continue with elle's journey anymore.

but, i wouldn't be here if it weren't for you guys.

thank you so so much for 3k reads, that's actually insane. i never thought in a million years people would read my book or be interested. it means the absolute world to me!