twenty five

Elle McBriar
July 31st, 4 months and 19 days after the first zombie report

The sun was setting. We'd been here for almost 4 hours. It's been the perfect day.

The boys got out after saying they're turning wrinkly. We all sunbathed on our towels for the remainder of the day, enjoying the evening sun, "We have about 2 hours before it goes completely dark." Gage worried, "Relax Gage, we know the risks. We can leave now if you'd like?" I ask.

He nodded guiltily but we began to pack up. As fun as today was, there's always that little voice in the back of my mind that tells me to always double check my surroundings. 

I got up off my towel, throwing it over my shoulder as the short breeze made me shiver. Goosebumps rose on my skin as I picked up Riley, hooking him onto my side as I placed the drinks and sunscreen into the baby carrier.

"I must admit, today wasn't as painful as I thought it was going to be." Paxton said, I smirked, "I told you. I know we're in the middle of a zombie apocalypse, but we have the whole world to ourselves, who says we can't go swimming for a day." 

I started walking, waiting for the guys to catch up.

Riley bounced happily on my shoulder, he was looking around, a toy train in his hands. He's the most cutest kid. Makes me sad about how I'll never be able to have kids and watch them grow up. 

I walked back to the van, hearing it unlock as Paxton pressed the unlock button from a distance. I opened the sliding door, buckling Riley inside I headed to the back. I wish I had a camera to take a photo. It's so beautiful and warm and I want to remember this moment forever.

The guys came back, talking about memories of when they used to come down here as kids. I wish I knew them as kids, I feel like we could've had a lot of fun. 

"Aren't you cold?" Gage asked me, nodding to the goosebumps on my arms. I nodded, "Yes freezing actually." I laughed, pulling on my shorts and my sweatshirt as I climbed into the front seat again. I didn't bother with shoes. I just chucked them on the floor as Paxton started the engine.

* * *

When we got back, the sun had just set. It seems like the sun sets so quickly now. Even though the Earth rotation is still the same, I feel like it's different. The days are shorter but the nights are longer. 

Alex cooked dinner tonight. Heating up day old soup on the fire pit as we all went to our rooms. I got dibs on the first shower, quickly washing myself and hair. 

We went swimming today. In a lake. It was the most beautiful thing. The water was cold, refreshing and not infected with zombie guts and blood.

I loved it. Even Paxton admitted that he liked it. 

I know things will never be the same again, but I'm trying to normalise things. Like swimming in the Summer, only if it's only for a few hours. I want things to be as casual as possible. Even if we have to kill a few zombies or get kidnapped every once in a while.

It'll be worth it. For me, for the boys. And for Riley, so he can grow up in an environment where he won't know the true horrors of the world.

My journal was almost full. I need to get another one.

I guess I could go 'shopping' tomorrow. Go by myself so I can think. I need a new journal. And tampons so...

"Dinner's ready!" Alex called from the kitchen. I skipped in there taking a bowl and joining the others outside. I sat on a log, wrapping a blanket around my shoulders as we sat in front of the fire. It was nice.

"You know what this reminds me of?" Alex said, "Fourth of July. Sitting outside until midnight, lighting fireworks, cooking a barbecue. You know, when life was simple." He laughed dryly. Gage agreed, "This reminds me of Alex's birthday. When we went camping at Ausable River in your Dad mini van." 

Alex laughed and Paxton smiled at the memory, "Dude you're gonna be 20 soon." Paxton said suddenly, Alex looked shocked, "Oh yeah shit. 4 days man."
I almost choked on my soup, "4 days? Your birthday is in 4 days and you didn't tell me?" They all looked at each other, "Why would I tell you?"

I gave him a 'are you serious' look, "Dude, I could make you a cake." "How are you supposed to make me a cake?" He asked in seriousness, I slumped down, my shoulders drooping, "I'll figure it out." 

After discussing the inevitable plan for Alex's birthday, it was my turn to wash up. The shower was running, Riley was throwing blocks around while Gage hurried to pick them up, and Paxton was outside trying to put the fire out, but failing miserably.

"Tomorrow, we're working on the shed. It needs to be done before winter and it'll take a while." Paxton said after coming back inside, "I thought you said it'd take a month?" I argued, "I thought it would. But we don't have the tools or materials to dig that far down in a month. It's gonna take us all through Fall." I dried to the bowls, putting them back in the shelf as I listened to them talk.

Sounds like this could be a tough one. I know it's only July but, I hadn't even thought of winter. I'm glad I'm not on my own though, that could've been bad.

"Do you think we can install the electricity?" I said suddenly.
"What do you mean?"

I walked over to the light switch, "I know electricity is out because of the power lines and the fact that know one is alive, but what if we did solar panels." 

"That's not a stupid idea." 

"There's a hardware store back in Brickwood that sells strips of solar panel and like, satellites to catch the solar, what if we install it on the roof and connect it to the wires in the house? That way in winter, we have power and hopefully a heater."

Gage smirked, "I like the way you think, Elle." I curtsied, "Why thank you!" 
"The solar panels catch sunlight and the rays of the moon, which would mean we'd get light and power through the day and night." 

"I guess I can go into Brickwood tomorrow and get the supplies. It shouldn't be too hard to install them right." Gage said.

"Yeah, sure." 

Saying goodnight to the guys, I settled in to my room. After checking on Riley who was sleeping soundly in his crib next to my bed, I lay my head on the pillow.

But after much tossing and turning, I woke up crying. Tears down my cheeks.

I found myself still wide awake and terrified. I kept my eyes on Riley, still worried that the illusion of Tyler was going to come back and kill me. Even though he's dead. 

I panicked, beads of sweat forming on my forehead.

Next think I know, I'm standing outside of Paxton's door with Riley in my arms.

* * * 

heyy

how're you liking the story so far??

happy reading!