sixty four

Elle McBriar
September 2nd, 6 months and 52 days after the first zombie report

After the sedative put me to sleep, I woke up the next day to a stormy sky.

It was only early, 7-8 maybe. But the clouds were already rolling in, small droplets of rain hitting me occasionally.

"There's definitely going to be a storm today." Someone said.

I was standing up, a band-age wrapped around my back and waist. The shrapnel piece hit me right in the spine, inched from my heart. I'm surprised I'm still alive.

It hurt to move obviously, but I'm alive.

I haven't been allowed to see Paxton or any of the guys so I'm just praying they're okay. I don't know anybody in these tents, only a few of the people Elaine introduced us too when we first arrived at the bunker.

I limped, holding onto the metal table as I walked out of the tent. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to be up and moving, but I am anyway.

With every step I feel like I'm going to fall over. But I need to find them.

There were about 10 other tents pitched in the sand so I had to search every single one.

I pushed open each, not seeing anyone I knew.

Finally, the last tent, along ways away from mine, I crossed my fingers as I hobbled to the opening.

I pulled open the flap, "Elaine?" I whispered, she turned around, teary eyed, "Elle?"

She ran up to me and wrapped her hands around my body, hugging me so tight, "Careful." I said, she released me, "It's so good to see you, are you okay?"

I shook my head, lifting up my shirt as I showed her the blood stain on the white bandage, "What happened?" Her mouth was agape, "I got hit with shrapnel." I hissed, pulling my shirt down, "Oh shit." She whispered. I shrugged, "No pain no gain."

"Trust you to make a joke out of this."

I looked around the average-sized tent, Sophia, Megan, Robert and Pedro were being treated for their cuts.

"Where are my friends?" I asked, "W-where's Alex and Gage? Paxton?" My lip quivered, "They're all fine." Elaine smiled, "Then why are you crying?" I asked, wiping away her tears.

"Because I don't know what we're going to do." Her voice was barely above a whisper but I still heard it.

"We'll figure it out. But for now, we need to brace ourselves. There's about to be a storm and these tents aren't going to hold." I said.

I hugged Megan and ignored Sophia, waiting by her side, "Where were you?" I asked, "Inside an old car that was broken down. Funny how secure old trunks can be when you need them." Megan chuckled sarcastically.

"Have you seen Alex yet?" She nodded her head, "We we're together." I smiled, "Good."

The tent flipped open and I turned my head, doing a double take when I saw Gage enter.

He looked distraught. I stood up, hobbling over to him as I clung to him, "Elle? Fuck I was looking everywhere for you!" He said, hugging me back, "I thought something happened to you!" I cried.

"I'm fine. I'm- are you okay?" I nodded my head, squeezing him, "I'm fine."

There were lots of hugs and tears and 'are you okays'. But eventually, everyone was fine, "Where's Paxton?" I asked Gage, he shrugged, "He was with Alex the last time I saw him, check the other tent." He said.

I thanked him and headed off, if I find Alex, I find Paxton.

I searched for them, checking every tent until I heard the familiar voice. I turned around, seeing Alex with a backpack on and Paxton behind him. I limped over to them, "Good to see your alive!"

Paxton's eyes widened as soon as he saw me, gathering me in a huge hug and squishing me, "My God! I missed you, are you okay? You're okay, right?" He mumbled, nuzzling his face into my neck.

"Paxton, I'm fine. How are you?" Tears flowed from my eyes, it's only been a few hours but I missed him.

His touch, his smell, his face. I missed the way he held me. I love him.

"Good. I- I think. I feel fine." He nodded, intertwining his fingers with mine, "Okay, sure." I said unconvincingly.

"Come on, Elaine wants to speak to all of us."

* * *

As we gathered in a large tent, Elaine held a speakerphone up to her mouth, "I know you're all probably wondering what happened."

She took a breath, "The bunker did in fact,
blow up. The radiation levels mixed with the air pressure underground, played with the knob on our clean air supply filter a few miles from the bunker."

"It connects the air through a tube which then filtered to us. It exploded, making the bunker, obviously unusable."

While Elaine was speaking, the whole tent was silent. We're all thinking the same thing, what do we do now?

I squeezed Paxton's hand and he rubbed my knuckles with his thumb, telling me it'll be okay.

"We don't know how long we'll last out here- how long we have or what's next to come. But we all have to protect each other."

Elaine finished with her speech, clicking off the megaphone and walking away. She seems stressed. I wish I could help but I don't know how.

"Elle?" Alex said, "If Megan comes looking for me, can you tell her that I'm with Riley in our tent?" Alex asks, "Sure."

Paxton lead me away from the tent and out into the open again, where the dark skies were brewing.

A few droplets fell and heavy rainfall was due any moment.

"We're gonna be okay, I promise." Paxton said to me, looking into my eyes.

Suddenly, his face changed, "Hey, what just happened?" I asked, grabbing hold of his arm. "N-nothing. Can we just sit, please."

We sat on the ground. I'm worrying now, is he okay? "Pax?" I asked. I held his face as all the colour drained from it. "Paxton? Baby?" I asked worryingly.

He didn't answer me.

He coughed and I thought nothing of it until he began coughing up blood. "Paxton? Pax what the hell?" I screamed.

I put my hand on his forehead, he's hot, "What happened?" He shook his head, "I- don't know. I feel faint."

"Okay quickly, medical bay, now."

I tried to help him stand but he just fell and began throwing up blood, "PAXTON!"

I was screaming 'help' as loud as I could. People came out to help. They took him away, carrying him on a rusty stretcher.

Please God, save him.

He's the love of my life. I can't live without him.

* * *

hiii
this chapter made me sad :(

i hope you're all staying safe with everything going on in the world right now! 2020 really fucked us hah.