sixty six

Elle McBriar
September 3rd, 6 months and 54 days after the first zombie report

I waa given 24 hours.

24 hours before I become pretty much immobile. Of course I want to take it out and make a fully recovery.

But, taking out a piece of shrapnel the size
of the moon without any anaesthesia is going to kill me before this shrapnel does.

I've wasted 12 of it laying flat on this table, my hand still interlocked with Paxton, who didn't seem to be waking up anytime soon.

I closed my eyes, thinking for an alternative. I could just kill myself and then pretend that it was the shrapnel.

But I don't want to leave Paxton!

There is not other option except to take it out. And that was my first option, except I needed more convincing from myself.

When the day grew darker and the day grew colder, Elaine came in, "Decision time?" She said, a blanket wrapped around her shoulders, I shrugged, "I don't have a choice!"

* * *

The tip of the metal blade was cold against my flushed skin.

I was laying on my stomach, face down, knuckles white from gripping it so hard.

I felt the scalpel prick my skin and bit my lip, this is going to be a long as night! I prepared for the worst as I tried to distract myself.

I was pumped up on painkillers all day, so it shouldn't be as bad. But I still feel everything.

I had the nurses, Elaine and Megan working on me. Paxton was taken out, and Alex and Gage were allowed in.

Elaine wipes the sweat from my forehead as I screamed in pain, everything is moving in circles, I'm dizzy but I need to stay awake.

The metal is still pressing against my skin as the incision is large.

But I don't remember much after that because I conked it. I have a bruise on my forehead because I hit my head on the table when I passed out.

When I woke up, I was still laying on my stomach with my head on a makeshift pillow out of clothes.

I guess I'm kind of grateful I passed out, at least it's over. My back hurt so bad, it stung to turn my neck.

But I did, because I felt another presence in the room. I turned my head, seeing Paxton laying on the bed next to me.

I blinked once, swearing I saw his eyes open. When I opened them again, his vibrant brown eyes were wild and filled with concern.

"Pax?" I whispered, barely comprehending what I was doing.

He smiled, "Hi baby." My heart melted as I reached out for him, squeezing my eyes shut as the pain in my back subsided quickly. He gripped my fingers, bringing them to his mouth to kiss my knuckles.

Warm tears spilled over my eyes, "You're alive." I mumbled. Relief made itself very clear in my body as I knew he was safe.

"I am. But it was a shock to me when I woke up and saw my girlfriend unconscious and half naked on the operating table next to me." He chuckled nervously, his thumb brushing my hand.

He touched me so gently, almost like he didn't want to hurt me.

"I just want to hold you." I said, he nodded, "I know. But we need to get better first, I don't even know what happened." A confused face washed over his face and I smiled, he's adorable.

His boyish little grin always comes back when he's confused or is smiling.

"You apparently had internal bleeding from hitting your head on something and started like... coughing blood." I said, "It was scary." And it was. I thought he was going to die in my arms.

"Well according to Elaine, you almost died. And I have to thank Gage, again. For saving your life."

I giggled, "Alex says we should all be dead by now." I said quietly, avoiding his eyes. I'm not going to keep the conversation light, he ca. handle it. Paxton was quiet, eyes swimming with thought, "He's not wrong."

I nodded, "I know."

* * *

Paxton slept for a bit before someone came in to check on me again.

"How are you feeling Elle?" A nurse smiled, "Good, I think. I haven't really moved so I couldn't tell you." The nurse smiled and pressed her fingers on my back.

"Tell me what hurts okay?"

She pressed on the skin, I felt some movement, but not much. I winced when she pressed on a sensitive spot, "It's a bit uncomfortable there."

I heard her mumble an 'okay'.

"Alright, why don't you take a nap and I'll come see you in a few hours."

I smiled, "Thank you Miss. I'm not tired though, I'll probably just wait for Paxton to wake up."

She smiled, "All right. No moving though, okay?" She winked. I returned her smile as she exited the tent.

I was in a good mood before Sophia entered the tent. She came in, zipping the tent up as she made her way over to me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her, glaring at her, "You should have died. You weren't supposed to live!" Sophia hissed.

She came over to me, silently screaming at me with her beady eyes, when did she become such a bitch?

"What are you talking about Sophia?" I asked, "Is that why you trapped me in the library before the explosion?" I said sternly, she nodded, "You needed to die. You need to die!"

She screamed that at me, she's completely insane, I'm beginning to get scared as she gets closer to me.

"Why don't you just die." She mumbled under her breath, "You're psychotic." I yelled. Sophia ignored me as she laced around the room.

I thought she would leave, but I watched as her hands reached into her pockets.

A syringe. I got flashbacks from Tyler and Jared as I saw that. A yellowish-red liquid was filled inside as she flicked off the cap.

"Sophia, what the hell are you doing!" I screamed, hoping someone would hear me, "SOPHIA, STOP!" I cried.

She didn't listen. Instead, she shoved her hand over my mouth and muffled my screams. I felt the pin prick of the needle in my arm as a new-found liquid was introduced to my body.

I felt myself going limp and eventually paralysed as I fell to the side, my brain giving up finally.

* * *

hii

i don't like sophia y'all, but, the drama can't be over yet can it!