fourty six

Elle McBriar
August 5th, 5 months and 26 days after the first zombie report

Gage had come back to life. I hugged him and helped him take pills and explain to him what happened.

He was battered and bruised, he won't be doing much of anything for a few days.

"Alex and Paxton are sleeping." I hope, "They're alive and breathing so that's good enough for me." I sighed.

The midday sun was scorching my back as I attempted to make sandwiches with the little supplies we had.

We were still in the middle of the road. Just blocks away from the university. The sky was filled with black smoke and the air seemed thick.

We still have to find some place to stay. Preferably a place with many rooms. Like a celebrities house.

That could be cool.

Gage groaned in pain as he lifted himself off the ground, "Why does this always happen to us?" He said, "What?"

"Getting beaten up and almost dying?"

I smile, "It's fate I guess."

Alex's seizures had calmed down. His blood pressure was still higher than the sky and I had to keep pressing a cold wash-cloth to his forehead so he didn't overheat. 

Gage tried to help out, even though I told him he's not allowed to move. 

"Elle, you have to find us a place to live." Gage panted, holding his side, "Why?" I huffed, "Because you told me I'm not allowed to move." He said with a smirk on his face, "I know but I want to be when they wake up." I said quickly, glancing over at Paxton who was still unconscious.

"I can take care of them. They're my boys, I won't let anything happen to them." Gage said honestly, giving me a solemn look. I shook my head, "I won't be long. I promise, and if anything happens, and I mean anything. They breathe different, move slightly or even cough, you radio, understand." I said sternly, he held up his hands in surrender, "Understood Colonel." 

I rolled my eyes, standing up.

Holstering a gun and slipping a knife in my socks and bra, I grab the keys for the car. I look over at Gage who seems to be in a lot of pain. "Take your meds." I say, nodding to his drugs, "Yes, Mom."

I kiss Paxton's forehead, "I'll be back soon, promise." I whisper, seeing no response from him.

Biting my lip, I get in the car and drive off, not looking back.

* * *

Two hours. Two whole hours and I've found NOTHING!

I've been searching and have found a few nice, hidden houses. But they're either too small, too damaged or too just... gross.

I'm looking for something not too modern, at least 5 bedrooms with a roof we can attach solar panels too. Which right now is looking pretty near impossible.

We're gonna be alone for the rest of our lives, that's inevitable, but I still want to live somewhere warm, where Riley can grow up. I'm driving through a random neighborhood, basically given up, when I turn my head slightly and see a house.

It seems small-ish. A white wood house, chimney and an old fashioned door. Slowly parking the car and slipping out of it, I head to the house. Whenever we searched for houses in the past, the guys always told me to look for kitchen space, bathroom space and backyard.

So that's what I did. It was pretty nice actually. The kitchen could fit 2 people at a time. 3 if you're lucky. The rooms were average, not huge, but doable. The bathroom was a good size. Two sinks and a bath and shower. 

Although, there were only 4 rooms. I guess we could always build another room connected to it for when Riley gets older. 

I like this house. The backyard was the right space as well as the driveway.

As I walked back through the house, checking every room, I smiled, taking note of the street name and house number.

I stepped outside again, closing the broken-lock door and admiring it from the outside. It needs some work, but that's a job for next Summer. I feel pretty content with myself, for finding a home all on my own.

I walk back to the car, keys in hand as I hear static in my pocket, "Gage?" I say hesitantly, "Elle- the boys- th-they're a... awake!" He sounded panicked and like he was breaking up? Were they in danger? "I'm coming!"

I sped like a goddamn rocket back to the road where we were last staying and didn't even turn the car off before I jumped out, "Gage?" I yelled, "Over here!" I heard him say.

I followed his voice, seeing a very alive Alex sitting against the tree with a bottle of water in his hand and a confused look on his face, "Why were you worried?" I asked Gage, kneeling in front of Alex as I studied his face.

His vital signs were good, steady. I felt his heart, beating a good pace. His temperature was fine and he seemed to be back to normal. "How do you feel?" I ask him, he shrugs, "I feel fine. I don't remember anything until we after the fire." He said, "Do you remember the elevator?" I ask, he smirks, "You mean falling down it and surviving? Yeah, I remember." 

I nod, he hugs me, "Glad you're alive." I say, "You too." 

"I wasn't worried. I was stressed. It's hard to take care of two fully grown guys when they're just waking up from some fire-induced coma." Gage said stress-fully, I laughed, "I know right, imagine 3!" 

"Paxton's been asking for you." Gage smiles.

My heart beats faster at the mention of his name. He's awake! I can't believe it.

"Uh where is he?" I said nonchalantly. Gage pointed to the van.

I walked over to the van, seeing a shirtless Paxton struggling to pull a black shirt over his body. I leaned against the car, admiring his muscles, "It's about time you woke up." I smirked.

He looked startled for a second before he realised it was me. Before I knew it, I was being scooped off the ground and into his arms. I was spun around in his arms a few times before he put me down, his naked chest against my clothed body.

"My God I missed you!" Paxton whispered, I giggled, "I missed you too." I hugged him back, feeling his head nuzzle into my neck.

"When Gage said you went out on your own I got scared. I got mad and asked him why he didn't go with you but he said you ordered him to not move and I said, well, that sounds like my Elle and-"

His rambling is cute and all but-

"Just shut up!" I whispered, standing on my tippty-toes to kiss him. He responded almost instantly as his lips kissed mine back, hands finding my back as he pulls me closer to him. I immediately feel safer in his arms. "How long were we out for?" He asked after he broke us apart.

"Gage was gone for like 12 hours. I don't know about you lot though, maybe 16 hours? It was scary, doing it on my own." I sighed. I didn't face him. I looked at the space between us and drew patterns on Paxton's skin as he tilted my chin up, "We're here now."

I'm not alone anymore!

* * * 

hii

i will admit, i deleted and re-wrote this chapter at least 6 times before i was satisfied with how it turned out. but now i'm happy.

i wanted it to take a dramatic turn buuut, you can't kill main characters :)