Chapter Eleven- Gryffindor: The house of the lion, not a griffon

"This must be the new students, Mr. Potter." Minerva Mcgonagall turned out to be a tall woman wearing emerald green robes, her silver streaked hair pulled into a neat bun. "Term just started- you'll fit right in- you'll be put in as sixth year students, understood?" Her sharp voice rang through her ears as she nodded her head. "Best get you sorted, then."

The headministress stood up and retrieved a very patched up hat. "Well, who's going first?" No one said a word. A small, tight smile graced her lips as she said, a tinge of impatience in her voice, "It's perfectly painless." "Fine," Keefe said. "Seems awesome to me. The Hair never refuses a dare! Hey, that rhymed!" The older woman rolled her eyes as Keefe pulled the hat on his head.

The hat sat there for a while. It's folds quivered, stopped. Moved, went still. Then, the folds opened wide like a mouth, and said, "Slytherin!" Keefe raised his eyebrows at the hat's voice. Her hands twitched. She wanted more than everything to tug out an itchy eyelash. Slytherin. The house of Salazar Slytherin. Rose had told her all about it- almost all the dark wizards had been in that house. Of course, Keefe had Albus and Scorpio, so he wouldn't be alone, but due to his legacy... no, Sophie did not want to think about that.

Fitz slowly pulled the hat over his ears. Before the hat had touched his brown hair, the cry of "Gryffindor!" rang throughout the room. No surprise there. After all, he'd been through a lot- including getting impaled by a giant bug in exile and getting his leg broken by Umber. He stared sadly at Keefe though, obviously thinking of how he would be separated from his best friend.

"Biana? You want to go next?" She nodded determinedly. She mouth curved into a smile as the hat said, "Hufflepuff!" Sure she wasn't in the same house as his brother, but maybe that was what she wanted. But Biana was the loyalist person she knew- she would do anything for her friends. Biana's smile grew as Linh joined her in Hufflepuff, the girls exchanging a quick glance of elation before averting their eyes to Tam- who was sorted into Ravenclaw.

That was a shocker. She hadn't really expected Tam to be a "wise" type, but he had come up with a bunch of brilliant plans before- maybe that was it. Dex joined him in Ravenclaw. With his technopath abilities, he was obviously a good fit. She gave her best friend a bright smile as he sat back down. 

That left her. She felt the hat's soft, worn out leather slip onto her head. Hard, very hard, just like Mr. Potter. Smart, no doubt, a good thirst to prove yourself, oh yes. Rather devoted are you? But your bravery- hmm. Where to put you? Let's see... How about... " Gryffindor!" She shakingly pulled the hat off and lined up to go home by floo network. The last thing she saw was Mcgonagall's reassuring nod as she made her way back home, her doubts disappearing. She really did belong. Sophie Foster was a girl of three worlds.