Chapter Twenty-Six- We are so dead

"WHAT did you do?" Councillor Emery was pacing in front of his throne. Hermione had also joined in on the festivities, and was looking on soberly at the scene. Sophie looked down at her shoes, a feeling of dread filling her stomach and making her slightly sick. Harry was no where to be seen. Under Sophie's decision, he was not to be included in the punishment, no one knew he had helped- after all, he had done so much already. 

"You summoned a monster that has the ability to destroy the world as we know it," He said. "And now it is set loose, and we have no whereabouts on where it is currently hiding?" Rose gave a small jerk of her head. "That's about it, yes." She answered quietly. He sighed. He seemed to be doing that a lot lately. "And we shouldn't be exiling you because...?"

Rose stood and smoothed the wrinkles on her robes. "We had a plan," She said bitterly. "To negotiate with the monster. " Councillor Alina snorted. "You speak as if the monster has a mind of its own," She pointed out. Rose raised her eyebrows. "Indeed it does, doesn't every living creature?" Councillor Oralie bobbed her head. "Could you explain why you decided to do this?" She asked in her soft voice. 

Rose looked over at her newly found friends, asking with her eyes to see if either of them wanted to explain. Through her calm demure, Sophie could see her panic. She couldn't keep up the polite facade much longer. But her friends just looked at the ground. They all looked ashamed and did not want to make things any worse. Even Keefe's hair seemed to sag at defeat. 

Sophie closed her eyes. As the moonlark, she had taken responsibility and leadership since a young age. Ever since she was 12 and arrived at the lost cities, to be exact. She did not know why, but she seemed to have a knack for worming out of tricky situations. This was one of the times that she needed to use her rather odd talent

"I'll do it," She said, sending Rose a reassuring glance. She smiled back, a faint trace of relief flooding in to her stoic features. She closed her eyes and began, hoping not to see their expressions of her news. "The Neverseen are a powerful group, there's no denying that," She started. Her words had startled the elves and wizards in the room. Fitz looked back at her worriedly, but snapped their cognate rings together as if to say, go on.  

"They also evoke fear in the elvin community, there is no doubt of that. Imagine if they really did have the... monster on their side." Out of the corner of her eye, she could see the councillors exchange knowing looks. None of them had missed her trip up. For one thing, she wasn't sure she should tell the 12 authority figures the creatures name. Gut intuition. Yes, that was it.

"The monster is a smart monster, no doubt. We saw how it fled at the first opportunity. It is intelligent enough to know it should pick the best deal," She added. Rose was smiling approvingly, and Sophie's confidence grew. "The Neverseen will cast out the most appealing deal, thus getting the monster on their side." Sophie said. "Which is why we need to get it on our side, because there is a higher chance of safety if we did. By summoning the beast, we hoped to get to it first, therefore convincing it before they did." She did not specify, but everyone seemed to know who they was. 

"But nothing really went as planned, other than awakening the monster." She explained. "Because Fintan showed up moments after the ritual started." Beside her, Edaline placed a hand on her arm. She wasn't an empath, but she could almost feel the dread radiating off of her. "We fought him, but not before the monster escaped." She left out the part of her rather unique form of magic; the councillors did not need another point against her sanity.

The councillors all closed their eyes, and she knew they were mentally communing with each other. With each minute that passed, Sophie began to feel frustrated. Hello? The most deadly monster is on the loose! How much did they need to say, "Go capture the monster and bring it back?" Adults. Sophie wondered if the extra years had gone to their heads. She had seen Fallon, after all.

But it turned out they did not give their final verdict, because they were ushered out of the tribunal room soon after the councillors opened their eyes. It was later confirmed that a scroll would be sent out to the public on the council's descision, with brief notes from Hermione, of course. Oh well, she thought. It's better than nothing.