Chapter 4 - Choosing a Child

"She has only been here for six months; she doesn't talk to other children. She goes off to that corner to be by herself." Nana Sue said, "What are her name and age?" Marinette asked Nana Sue. "Her name is Alison Harris, and she has just turned three years old." Nana Sue said. Marinette and Adrien looked at each other, knowing what the other was thinking.

"Nana Sue", Adrien started to say as he looked at Marinette, who gave him a nod. "We would like to Foster Alison," Adrien said. Nana Sue looked at the pair and said, "Vey well then, I will get one of my staff to go to her room to start packing her stuff up." Nana Sue said.

"She won't need much. Just pack clothes for a couple of days as I am a designer and can make her clothes." Marinette mentioned. "And my Father is also a designer, so that we won't need many clothes, but if they just pack her toys and everything else she needs, we will get for her," Adrien adds. "Very well, then I will send a staff member up to her room now, and while they are doing that, there are a few things we need to talk about regarding Alison. So please follow me to my office." Nana Sue said. Adrien and Marinette followed Nana Sue to her office after getting one of the staff members to pack some of Alison's things.

Once in the office, Adrien asked, "Nana Sue, what is that we need to talk about?" Sue sat behind her desk and gestured for Adrien and Marinette to sit. "Please, you can call me Sue." Adrien and Marinette nodded their head. "Well, as I said in the lounge area, Alison has only been here for six months, and since she arrived, she won't talk to anyone at all," Sue said.

"Okay, is there a reason she won't talk to anyone?" Asked Marinette. "Child services bought Alison here. She wasn't in a good state. We knew she came from a violent family, but we didn't know just how violent her family was towards her until we saw all the bruises and scars on her back, stomach and some on her arms too."

Sue said, explaining it to them. "That's awful." Exclaimed Marinette. Sue explained to the pair, "She won't interact with other kids or talk to any of them. Since she arrived, Alison would shut everyone out. She has just started to trust me and open up to talk but only to me. I understand if you both don't want to Forster her now."

Adrien placed his hand on Marinette's arm to gain her attention. When Marinette looked at Adrien, she saw his eyes telling her she needed us. Marinette knew their choice and said, "She needs a family that will love and care for her, and she needs to know that. We still want to Foster her."

"Well then. I will get those papers and documents for you both to sign." Said Sue. Sue left the office to go and get all the papers for Marinette and Adrien to sign. After everything was signed, the three left the office, and Sue went to get Alison. Sue walked up to Adrien and Marinette with the little girl Alison, holding on to Sue's hand.

"Alison, this is Adrien and Marinette. They are going to Foster you." Sue said to Alison. Alison had blonde hair, and she had very blue eyes. Marinette took a step forward towards Alison and kneeled to her height. "Hi Alison, I'm Marinette, and this is Adrien," Marinette said as she pointed to Adrien. "You are going to come home with us. Is that alright?" Adrien said to Alison as he kneeled beside Marinette. Alison nodded her head slightly. Marinette offered her hand out for Alison to take. Alison started to reach out to Marinette's hand but hesitated, and then she looked up at Sue for insurance.

Sue gave Alison a slight nod saying that it was okay. And Alison took Marinette's hand as Marinette and Adrien stood up. "Thank you, Sue." Said Adrien. "No, thank you for Fostering a child." Replied Sue. Adrien took Alison's bag from Sue, and they said their goodbyes. When the three of them returned to the lounge area where everyone else was, Alison clenched Marinette's hand tightly and hid behind her leg. Marinette noticed and picked her Foster daughter up.

They then went to find Alya and Nino. They found Nino and Alya near the middle of the lounge and walked over to where they were standing with a little girl. "You all done here?" Nino asked Adrien as he saw that they had approached them. "Yip, what about you two?" asked Marinette. That was when Alya saw the little girl Marinette was holding and asked, "who is this sweetheart here?"

"This is Alison," Adrien said. "Alison, these are our friends Alya and Nino," Marinette told Alison. "Hi Alison, I'm going to be your Aunty," Alya said to Alison. "Oh, and this is Ella. Ella this is Marinette and Adrien." Alya said. "Hi," Ella said, acting shy. "Hi, Ella. Nice to meet you." Adrien said. "Well, we better get Alison home and get her settled in. See you guys later." Marinette said to their friends.

Yea, same here. I will text you later, Marinette." Ayla said. As they said their goodbyes to their friends, Marinette, Adrien, and Alison were heading to Marinette's bakery.

___________________________________________________________________________

When they got to the bakery, the three of them entered. Once they entered the bakery, Alison's eyes widened when she saw all the bakery goods and sweets around the place. Marinette noticed and giggled at her Foster Daughters facial expression. "Hello, Mama," Marinette said to her mother as she walked behind the counter with Alison in her arms and Adrien following on. "Hello Marinette and Hello Adrien." Her Mother, Sabine, said,

"Hello, Mrs Cheng." Adrien greeted. "Please, Adrien, call us Sabine and Tom," Sabine said. Then she spotted a little girl in Marinette's arms. "And who is this wee one?" Asked Sabine. "This is Alison, Mama," Marinette said. "Alison, sweetie, this is your Grandma," Marinette added.