Chapter Three: Getting Closer

Dedicated to:
modumogi

~*~*~*~*~

It seemed like Koeun was having too much fun— the fun she didn't get to do for the past few months— with the boys that she forgot about the time. She was too caught up by the current happenings, laughing every now and then, and that was what mattered to her at the moment.

She spent the rest of the late afternoon cooking with the boys and it was pure chaos. Chenle and Jisung playfully kept throwing food residue at each other, with Renjun attempting to stop them— keyword: attempting, since he could only groan in frustration when the two would go back at it again.

It was only when Mark spoke to the younger boys that they stopped. His position as the current leader of the X-Force had given him enough power to do so.

It was just time for dinner when they finished, though it was mostly Jaemin and Jeno's work. They had set everything in the dining room, which had a long table standing in the middle, and settled. It didn't take long for them to dig in as they were already starving.

Now, it was around a quarter before nine in the evening, and they were still on their seats, listening to the X-Force's experiences during their missions when Koeun wasn't around.

"I swiftly got a hold of his arm, caught his gun, and hit him at the back of the head." Jaemin's eyes were filled with pride as he told Koeun his story. "You should have seen that man's face before I knocked him out."

"Oh, boy." Renjun pretended to roll his eyes as he sat next to Koeun. "You're showing off again."

"So? Is that a bad thing?" Jaemin, who was at the opposite side of the table, raised an eyebrow at his way. "I've got skills and I'm not afraid to boast it."

"And I'm afraid you're becoming like Haechan now."

Haechan, who just took a bite of his steak, heard his name and slightly frowned. "Hey, I heard that."

But they ignored him. "You speak like my skills didn't save this team plenty of times."

"Oh, yeah?" Renjun jokingly challenged him. "Name one."

"Oh, we're doing this? Are you sure?" Jaemin didn't have a hard time thinking one. "You sought my help when you couldn't open the door of a security room."

It didn't take a second for Renjun to back down. "Okay, you win." This earned a chuckle from Koeun and Jaemin. "You could've said a different one."

"Why? You're embarrassed?" Jaemin teasingly grinned.

Renjun could only squint his eyes at him. "Shut up."

Just as they stopped talking about the topic, Chenle remembered something. He wiped his mouth clean with the napkin before speaking. "Koeun, I heard you were promoted."

This made everyone pause to look at his way.

"Yeah, Renjun told us about it." Jisung, who was next to Chenle, diverted his attention towards Koeun.

Koeun had her eyes widened for a good two seconds before smiling shyly. "Oh, uhm, yes."

"She's a special agent now." Surprisingly, it was Mark who spoke, sitting at the head of the table. He had been quiet for the past minutes but now he got a reason to speak.

"Special agent?!" Chenle repeated while Jisung exclaimed a woah.

"Koeun, that's great!" Jaemin smiled widely at the girl.