Chapter Fifteen: Wines and Profanities

Dedicated to:
fadeadaway Seolababiee
pingusie neoistic

~*~*~*~*~

"Renjun," Mark let out a heavy breath as beads of sweat rolled down his temples after following Renjun's previous instruction. "what's next?"

Somewhere in the building, the auction party was currently taking place. The divided units had already progressed a lot on performing their own tasks except for one— Mark's unit. The others were already on the second phase of the mission yet his unit was still on the goal of finding their way out.

"Hold on. I'm looking for an accessible way." Mark was breathing hard as he waited for Renjun's next instructions. Being inside the cramped vents was making him suffocate. This also limited his movements and all they could do was crawl.

"Can you hurry a little bit? It's getting too hot in here." Haechan, who was behind Mark, blew a breath to at least cool himself.

"And too hard to see." The person behind Haechan, Lucas, complained. The area was too dark to navigate through despite having the watchlights. In addition, each of them had been pushing duffel bags as they advanced so it was getting in the way.

"I'm trying." Renjun's eyes quickly scanned the blueprint of the building's air ventilation system in one screen. Then he moved to another that showed footage from the security cameras, and lastly, to the one that monitored Mark's unit. "Got it."

Mark released a sigh of relief when he heard Renjun speak.

"You're actually close." Renjun slightly gaped upon the realization as he stared at the screen. "Proceed to go forward and then take a left. Stop when you've reached the first lid that you see. It leads to a vacant room and you can set up in there."

"You heard him." Mark told the others before he went back to Renjun. "Thanks, Renjun." And then he began to crawl again while pushing the bag forward.

"No problem." Was Renjun's reply.

Haechan felt pumped up when he saw Mark move. "I can't wait to get out of here." And he did the same.

The next few minutes only showed how Mark, Haechan and Lucas dragged themselves further in the labyrinth of vent ducts. They did what they could not to cause too much noise while doing so. Renjun kept a close eye on them, although the only thing he could see was how the blinking red dot moved slowly but surely.

"Mark, do you see anything notable?"

Mark heard Lucas' question from behind. He took a break from going on all fours and moved his arm side to side, flashing the light up ahead. Then, when his eyes spotted something on the left, he settled his light on it. "I do."

It was the path Renjun was referring to earlier.

The boys proceeded to crawl and push the bags through. They eventually reached the left turn and took more time than they expected to round it. The vent ducts were too narrow for them to slither through and their arms were already in pain from constantly being pressed against its slippery iron texture.

To their content, Mark had finally reached the vent cover where light managed to pass through and shone his face. He took a peek through the grills before trying to push it open. Unfortunately, it wouldn't budge.

It's jammed.

"Haechan, the crowbar."

Haechan heard this and relayed the message to Lucas. "The crowbar."