Chapter Seven: The New Associates

If you're reading this on June 6 (again), wish me and Haechan a happy birthday!

Dedicated to:
lithyuck

~*~*~*~*~

"Koeun, you need to come to the office. Quick."

The following day, Koeun had gone with the usual and immediately went to the headquarters. She had received a call from Lucas, saying that the chief needed all of them to be as early as possible.

And whenever the chief mentioned this, it meant serious business. Even more serious than their regular meetings.

Yesterday was full of surprises— Taeyong setting up an ambush along with two new confederates. Almost losing Jaehyun to the enemies was already too much to handle, and when Haechan revealed the identity of the girl she fought with, she could barely breathe even when they drove her home to rest.

Koeun was still in a daze as if she was having a hangover from the events, but she couldn't let this take over her. After all, she still had a mission to work on.

Walking along the cold hallway with long strides, Koeun approached the group of people outside their meeting room with determination. Once they heard the familiar clack of her boots, each of them looked towards her way.

It was the Elites.

Lucas had pushed himself away from the wall while Hina met Koeun halfway. "Koeun, how are you?" She carefully spoke in a light tone. "You never replied to my messages since last night."

The older girl only realized she was unknowingly being absentminded after she felt Hina's hand on her shoulder. She felt guilty for making her worry so she reassured her with a smile. "Sorry. I had to be alone for a while, that's why." Was her half-excuse. "But don't worry. I'm fine now since I got to rest."

Hina could only press her lips into a thin line before removing her hand. She could feel Koeun becoming uncomfortable by the attention she was getting. It seemed like she still wasn't entirely used to their concern.

Everyone in their team had been looking out for her ever since she returned to them.

"Glad to hear that." Xiaojun decided to interrupt. "We can't let you get into too much stress. Aside from Lucas, you're the one leading us in this mission."

His words were intended in a good way but for her, it made her feel more guilt. She had been failing at her job to lead her team. Instead, she was giving her time to the X-Force, who wasn't her main team to begin with.

Even though Koeun kept her smile, Lucas could see how forced it was. And so he came to the rescue. "Anyway," He said after clearing his throat, causing the attention to move towards him. "the chief is already inside. We just need to wait for his call."

"Wait," Koeun blinked vigorously. "why are you all outside anyway?"

Before Lucas could answer, they heard the door open and spun their heads at the chief, who just revealed himself to them. Chief Moon had tucked his coat down as he scanned the group, eventually landing on Koeun. "Special Agent Koeun, you're finally here."

The girl gave him a slight bow of the head, acknowledging his presence. "Yes, sir. I came as soon as I could."

"Perfect timing. We'll be starting our discussion in a few minutes." He informed. "We still have to wait for someone else to arrive."

Koeun furrowed her brows. "Who, may I ask?"

Chief Moon didn't need to answer since another batch of footsteps had already thudded in the hallway. It started out faint but it grew louder as it moved closer.