Chapter Eleven: The Awaited Confrontation

Dedicated to:
dreamingvelvet

~*~*~*~*~

The unit came up with the conclusion that the order was only the management's mistake but for Mark, it was far from that. He knew there was a message trying to be conveyed towards him but he didn't have to let them know about it.

Throughout the lunch, he acted like nothing happened as they proceeded to eat, even though his mind was swarming with thoughts. This went on until their work for the day ended, in which he told the others to go ahead without him.

"I have some errands to do. You can leave without me."

The rest were taken aback, especially Haechan. He came this way with him and now Mark wanted him to head back alone.

"Don't worry. I'll be alright on my own."

Haechan was being suspicious about him but it didn't take long for Mark to convince them to be on their separate ways. And when they did, he proceeded to head towards his destination as fast as possible.

Now, he was sitting on a stool by the counter, watching the bourbon whirl inside the glass he was holding.

Never did Mark imagine himself coming back to this Western-style diner-bar in the secluded part of the city. It was mostly the troublemakers who wander and hang around this area, which was why he even knew the place.

When Mark returned to the bar earlier, he could see nothing much changed. The smooth walls were still red in color that matched with its striking neon lights. Several red booths were set around the place, pairing with tables made out of dark wood. The only thing new was the bar counter got moved to the inner side of the place.

Being the only customer, Mark brought the glass to his lips and took a sip, recalling the events that happened here three years ago. The events that happened in his first mission as an agent; his first mission with his partner, Yeri.

"We didn't have to order, you know. We aren't here to stay." Mark told his partner once they got their order— a glass of beer and fries.

"I know that but we have to act like real customers." Yeri answered as she took a piece of the fries, eating it. "You don't want them to get suspicious, do you?"

They were waiting for their target to arrive that night.

"What is this?" Mark furrowed his eyebrows at the folded tissue Yeri was giving him.

"You've been looking too serious about this mission. Lighten up." Yeri jutted out her chin towards it.

Mark took it from her and unfolded it, seeing a small drawing of a smiley face at the corner. He couldn't help but roll his eyes. "Let's stop with the games, Yeri."

But the girl only chuckled at his reaction. "You always sound so serious."

He placed the glass back down. Now that he remembered, she was right. He barely lightened up.

Mark noticed the bartender leaving his spot behind the counter and entered the back door without a word. Frowning, he got puzzled as to why he would leave the place alone to a stranger like him. What's with him?

Turns out, he would be receiving his answer when he heard clacking of heels growing louder as it moved closer.

Feeling his body tensed, his hold around the glass tightened. He could feel the person's presence behind although they were still a little far from him. He was unsure of what to do. He came here barely prepared for anything since it was too sudden.