CHAPTER TWO: THE CLASH

DAVID'S POV
"Guys, hurry up! I wanna play today." I try not to bitch too much as the guys grab a ball to buy.

"Chill out, David, it's only four in the afternoon."

"Have fun boys, try not to tear the old pace up too much." Vincent Nicholson, the drugstore's owner waves us off.

"Thanks sir!" We all call as we finally leave the old drugstore and head off to the Sandlot. It didn't seem like much, but baseball is our lives.  Every afternoon, we played baseball. All summer, we'd play baseball. We lived and breathed baseball. We soon arrive at the Sandlot and stop in shock and horror. It was written all over our faces as we watched three girls take turns in each position. Penny and Jenny are easy to recognise. I take the third girl in, the new girl, the one I winked at as I ran around the bases on field. I can't help it, she's cute. Wait, what?

"Hey, get off our Sandlot before you get hurt, barbies." Ham yells at them. We throw our bikes down and run towards the girls until we are a few feet away from them.

"First of all, this is a public baseball pitch, you don't own it. Second, screw you, you sexist pig." The new girl spits back, hand on hip.

"We were playing here first, so go home and play with your dolls before you get hurt." Squints argues.

"Like Hayley said, this is a PUBLIC baseball pitch, so you can't make us leave. And we can play just as well as you." Jenny snaps back. Hayley, her name plays over and over in my head.

"Probably even better."

"Is that a bet I hear?" Tommy teases and the new girl raises an eyebrow.

"Fine. If we can get three runs, we can play here any day on a team with you guys." Penny glares at us.

"And?" Fingers asks in sign language

"And?" I reply for him, remembering that the girls probably had no idea what he's saying.

"If we strike out, we leave." Hayley continues, her voice filled with confidence and challenge.

"Deal," I agree, my eyes never leaving hers.