CHAPTER NINE: FIREWORKS

DAVID'S POV
Today was the fourth of July, so we're decided to enjoy a hopefully stress-free night before we start our rocket rescue tomorrow. After we meet up in the morning at the Sandlot as usual, we ride to Devil's Rockets, a small firework shop around the corner from Vincent's.

(It was legal to buy fireworks as a kid and you didn't even need your parents with you to buy them. We had heard stories about kids and teens getting their fingers blown off by rockets, but those were firecrackers, not safe and sane fireworks. The only thing that parents would say is 'Don't waste all your money on the Rocket Fire.')

"Two Rocket Fires please," The guys grab them off the counter as the worker hands them over, loading them into his little red pull-along trailer that Smalls had hooked up to his bike. "Two years of savings. Chores, birthday money, collecting bottle caps, walking dogs and much more to save up for this."

"Smalls, what the hell are you gonna do with two Rocket Fires?" Mac looks at Smalls like he's crazy as he helps him load the fireworks into his red wagon, which he had attached to his bike using rope.

"Celebrate our great country's birthday, of course, and turn nighttime into day," Smalls grins and we make out way back to the Sandlot then to Hayley's to start celebrating. All of the parents were talking amongst themselves as the kids were swimming. I helped Smalls set up the fireworks before heading for a swim.

~~~~~

It's around six thirty and it's now quite dark. As I finish getting changed back into my clothes, I can hear Hayley and Mrs Rodriquez chatting as they stood on top of their pool deck, looking out at the field full of explosives.

"What's wrong with me, mum? I thought he liked me."

"Oh tiger, there's nothing wrong with you. I'm sure he likes you, he's either too scared to tell you or maybe it's just not the right time, there could be a million reasons why he hasn't said anything." I feel my heart jump and a stupid uncontrollable grin grow on my face. I scold myself before I quickly walk out of the house and run out onto the field, waving to Hayley and her mum. Emma pats her shoulder and walks away. Hayley grins and waves before she comes downstairs. Hayley and I sit down on the grass, waiting for the fireworks to start.

"Hayley?"

"Yeah?"

"Your mum mentioned the other day that your dad plays for the big leagues. I was just wondering who he was."

"I'm surprised you don't know already. He was a big legend around here back in the day. He defeated the Beast after all." I stare in aw at the girl beside me.

"Your dad is Benny the Jet Rodriquez?" Hayley giggles at my reaction.

"Yeah, that's how he met my mum. She was apart of the Sandlot gang after a similar argument to ours, Mum's still in contact with everyone. They see each other at least once a year." I was still in shock.

"Wait, your Mum is Emma Warrior Johnson? I met Emma Warrior Johnson?" Hayley giggles.

"Now Rodriquez, but yeah. She fell in love with my dad while playing baseball with him."

"You were born to play on the Sandlot. I understand why you're so good now." She blushes lightly.

"My mum used to say to let nothing get in my way when it comes to what I want. I'm sort of glad you got in the way, David." She hugs me and I hug her back. The fireworks go off and Hayley and I quickly pull apart, my arm still around her shoulder as we watch in awe. I watch Hayley's face as her eyes light up with each new spark, wonder filling them. I glance back up at the sky and I feel Hayley softly kiss my cheek before quickly jogging off. My face turns red as the fireworks make the American Flag and die down. Snapping out of my shock, I search around for Hayley, but I can't spot her in the dark. I scold myself for not reacting quicker as Mac walks over to Smalls and pats his back.

"You've done good Smalls. You've done good."