CHAPTER FIVE: THE ROCKET

HAYLEY'S POV
"Come on Mac!"

"Hey batter batter!" The boys are chanting and yelling to mess with each other.

"Shut up guys, I'm trying to focus." The boys laugh at him as I pitch him out.

"Sorry, do you need me to spell it out for you? Strike one!" Jenny mocks him. He rolls his eyes before preparing again. I throw my signature pitch again and he misses by almost nothing. The boys keep jeering him as he becomes frustrated.

"Whatever, I'll show you guys!" Jenny throws it back to me and I pitch again, preparing to strike Mac out again, but he swings and smacks the ball, sending it flying into my dad's shed.

"Crap." I mumble and run over to the shed to go retrieve the ball, but I can hear sparks and explosions. I swing the door open and dive as Dad's friend's rocket goes soaring out the open door. "No!" I scramble towards the fence dividing the Sandlot and Mr Murdell's yard as the rocket unluckily lands in the yard. I run and try to jump over the fence, pushing myself up onto the wooden divider holding the junk wall up.

"No!" I hear the team scream. I watch them in confusion run up to me. David grabs me and pulls me down and away from the fence.

"Why can't I jump over?" I ask, worry setting in. If I don't get that rocket, Dad is going to kill me.

"The Great Fear is there." I raise an eyebrow at Tommy, coaxing him to keep going. "He's a ferocious beast!"

"I heard he ate a kid once!" David's grip on me tightens at the accusation and I look up at him. Surely David wouldn't be scared of a silly neighbourhood story.

"Whatever goes over that fence never comes back." Penny agrees and realisation finally sinks in. Even if the story of the Great Feat isn't real, the fence is whats preventing me from getting that rocket.

"Come on, guys. It's just a story. I have to get that rocket back." I plead and try to jump over the fence again, but David pull me back, holding me close to him.

"No chance Hayley! That thing could kill you!" Smalls bluntly states.

"The future of NASA went over that fence," I try to explain, flustered and worried. "That was a model of the new spaceship of NASA. It was my dad's friend's. Dad agreed to look after it while he's overseas." I try to calm myself down. "My dad's on a trip to meet up with some of his old teammates, but he could be back any time."

"We'll figure something out." David agrees, still holding me down.