CHAPTER SIX: THE MATCH

HAYLEY'S POV
I check the watch for the fifth time in the past twenty minutes, I couldn't help my anticipation. In a little over an hour, we'd be playing at the Sandlot against the Bulldogs. I decide against waiting any longer and I jog to the Sandlot to practice. I'm the first one there. I practice pitching, trying not to cringe each time the ball hit the wire fence as it rattled, breaking the peaceful atmosphere.

"Hey." David greets me. I turn around with a smile.

"Hey there Blue Eyes." I jog towards him before tripping over my own feet. David catches me by waist as my hands land on his chest to support myself. I try to hide my blush as he helps me back to my feet.

"Woah there, can't have our second best batter getting injured before our big game." I raise an eyebrow at him as I flick his cap off of his head by its brim. He chuckles, picking it up off of the ground.

"Second best? Please." He shakes his head at me. "You can't even hit majority of my pitches."

"And that's why you're our star pitcher." I can't help the smile that brakes on my face.

"Hey lovebirds! Wait till after we beat the losers to have a celebratory kiss!" I hear Tommy yell as the others chuckle and laugh. I blush even more and shove David in an attempt to play it off as I walk towards the rest of the team. David follows me before falling in pace beside me, his arm wrapped around my shoulder. I definitely can't hide my flustered face now.

"Come on you dorks, let's get practicing."

~~~~~

We're mid game and I'm finally up to bat. Of course one of Singleton's teammates, his vice captain, takes the chance to try and show me up in front of John and stupid friends, but I won't let him. I tap the ground twice before swinging as he pitches. I hear a smack and run for my life as the ball lands at the back of the field. I feel myself flying through the air as I make my way towards first base and everything feels like a rush.

DAVID'S POV
I watch Hayley begin to run around the four bases, a proud grin on her face as she gave the Bulldogs no time to screw around. Her long hair follows behind her and her brown eyes shine with excitement, her full focus on her journey. As she runs, it feels like everyone and everything around me disappears. Hayley glances at me and cheekily winks as shes on her way to third, a little inside joke between us. I chuckle, looking at the ground and shaking my head. She looks beautiful as always. I snap out of my trance as I continue to watch the game.

HAYLEY'S POV
"Hurry up, losers!" John yells at his team as they struggle to grab the ball. "Just throw it already!" I was on my way to home plate, closing in on the safe zone. John, realising he's going to lose, runs towards me instead of the ball. I frown in confusion, but my questions are soon answered. The idiotic boy runs out in front of me and my stomach and ribs are greeted by his elbows, stopping me in my tracks and making me collapse as a searing pain shocks my system, almost like my body is on fire. I fall to my knees, groaning in pain as I try to hold back tears. Man, that hurt so bad. I could hear the team yelling and screaming, but my ears begin ringing, bile rising in my throat. I clutch my middle and try to use my hair as a curtain as I feel a few tears slip down my cheeks. That stupid boy.

DAVID'S POV
I watch Hayley fall to the ground in pain, her long hair covering her face as she groaned. I feel anger rise rapidly in my chest as everyone stares at Singleton in shock, even his own teammates seem to be surprised by the event that had just unfolded, one of them even dropping the ball as they stare at their captain, whose cocky stare was fixed on Hayley. I felt my blood boil as my body shakes, my fury building up.