CHAPTER FOURTEEN: THE BATTLE

HAYLEY'S POV
I was getting ready to meet up with Jenny and Penny again, when the home phone starts ringing. With mum out with friends, I was the only one in the house. I pick it up from the receiver.

"Hello?"

"Hayley, you have to come to the-" Yelling could be heard in the background and I cringe at the volume.

"Mac? You need to calm down and then tell me what's going on." I can hear frantic breathing on the other side.

"Tommy and I just ran to Tommy's to call you. Hayley, you need to get outside now. David's about to do something stupid and we're all scared." I feel my heart racing as I try to glance out the window and over the fence. "You're the only one who can stop him."

"I'm coming now." I hang up, attempting to calm myself down. "Please don't do anything stupid, David." I mutter to myself franctically as I sprint through the front door, closing it before passing through the gate. I can see David putting on a new pair of Nike's. It clicks in my brain and my heart drops.

"David, stop. You don't have to do this." I talk to him in a vulnerable voice, my fear evident. I can't let him do this, I love him too much. I thought I wanted him to save me, but I don't want him hurt. Penny and Jenny watch the scene unfold. David turns to me, flashing me a reassuring smile and dazzling me with his gorgeous blue eyes.

"Yeah I do, Hayley. I screwed up and now it's my time to fix it," I smile softly at David's reply, my heart melting into a gooey puddle. He taps the brim of his, well my, cap before stuffing a red silk cape in his pocket. It has a big yellow R and a rocket embroidered onto it. My brain puts two and two together as a small gasp leaves my lips.

"Oh my god, you're the kid, aren't you?" I question, finally understanding. He needed to face his greatest fear. David nods, climbing on top of the wall. A pit of determination fills my stomach. Just because he's facing his fear, doesn't mean he needs to do it alone.

"That's it," I quickly scramble up the wall and stand beside David, who turns to me.

"What are you doing, Hayley?" He asks as concern fills his voice.

"I'm not letting you do this alone. Either, I come or we don't do this at all. We'll face your fear together." I explain, softly yet stubbornly, grabbing his hand in comfort. He hesitates, but nods, squeezing my hand for reassurance. I feel my face turn red as he winks at me. We jump down and come face to face with the Great Fear.

"You grab the rocket while I distract the dog. Now's probably not the best time to tell you but," He kisses my cheek and I feel my heart race. "Ever since you moved here, I've had a crush on you and now, I'm in love with you." I blush and before I can answer, the Great Fear charges at us. I jump over him and grab the rocket. I hook the spaceship onto the large hook Mac has left last time while David distracts him. I struggle to climb, but I eventually make it over the fence, tumbling to the ground as the others stand there, spaceship in hand.

"Yes, you did it!" Everyone helps me up and pulls me into a hug, celebrating with excitement. David jumps over the fence.

"Holy shit!" Tommy yells, our celebrations soon interrupted as he looks wide-eyed at the fence. I turn to see the Great Fear jumping over the fence. The rather large dog goes for David. I almost scream in horror.