CHAPTER TEN: ATTEMPT

TWO DAYS LATER

HAYLEY'S POV
I watch anxiously as Jenny and Penny grab my cat, Missy.

"Guys, what are you doing?" I ask cautiously, eyeing the two girls as the place her into a special harness on some rope.

"We put a harness on Missy, lower down on top of the spaceship and her claws will detract," Jenny explains, her eye on my cat as she goes to push her over the fence.

"But her claws only detract when she's scared."

"Exactly," Penny wraps the end of the rope around a tree before tying it neatly, yanking on it to make sure it won't come loose.

"She'll be scared by the dog and grab the spaceship. We'll pull her up and have the spaceship." The two girls lower Missy on top of the spaceship as we watch intensely, waiting to hear anything go wrong. We hear a hiss and a growl.

"Pull her up!" The hissing and barking match continues. They pull her up and grab her. She's got chunks of fur missing. "Missy!" I grab her, pulling her out of the harness and put her inside, sighing with relief that she's safe. "Any other ideas?"

"I have one," Mac responds. "Tommy, grab my metal bat, a skateboard, some rope and a shovel." It takes us a while, but we dig a tunnel for Mac. Mac shoves on a helmet and hops on the skateboard, grabbing his metal bat. We tie the rope to the back of the skateboard. "If I yell, you pull me out okay?" Mac instructs sternly.

"Okay." We begin our mission and five minutes later, we hear Mac scream.

"Pull me out! Pull me out!" He yells frantically. We pull him out. "Block the hole with the table! He's coming!" We throw the table on top of the hole and hold on for dear life as The Great Fear tries to break through, banging with sheer force. We all scream, pushing on the table as hard as I could. The dog soon gives up, retreating back to its yard and we turn around to talk to Mac. He's in shock because he's so scared. We look at his bat and stare in horror. It's bitten and chewed, now destroyed.

"It's no use. We're never gonna get it back!" David states in frustration, but I grab his arm, stopping him from leaving.

"David, please. We can't do this without you," I beg on the verge to tears. He looks at me, turns away and keeps walking, yanking his arm from my grip. "David, you can't just leave! Don't give up on us!" I grab him again. He turns around and shoves me really hard. I fall to the ground not expecting it and wince slightly as my bruises erupted in a burning pain. I glare at David, my eyes never leaving his body.

"Hayley, David didn't mean to-" I interrupt my teammate.

"Save it, Squints." I stop the boy as David's sharp gaze stays on mine. "Fine, we don't need you, just go give up somewhere else." I spit fiercely as I get up, the girls helping me, as try not to portray any hurt. Tears built up in the eyes and I see regret and guilt immediately fill his face as his scowl drops, his blue eyes softening.

"Hayley, I-"

"Forget it." I state dryly. "I should've known better than to think that you'd be any different." I stride away from the team, my chin held high, only allowing tears to fall after I had turned.

DAVID'S POV
I watch Hayley walk off with Penny and Jenny running after her.

"Dude, I screwed up," I feel angry with myself as my heart stung, the disappointed look on her face burning into my mind.

"What happened back there?!" Smalls asks, concern lacing his voice.

"I just got upset and I couldn't control myself. Hayley's right, I'm an idiot." I growl.

"Dude, there is only one way you can fix this,"

"How?" I ask desperately.

"You get that rocket back, for Hayley." I feel fear pull at my chest. My heart tells me to do it, for Hayley while my head keeps telling me to shrink away in fear from that goddamn dog.

"I'll think about it," I ride off without another word