CHAPTER ELEVEN: WHY?

HAYLEY'S POV
"Hayley, I know David. He never usually lashes out like this, he must really be struggling with something." Penny rubs her hand up and down my arm. We're currently in my bedroom and the girls are comforting me.

"David's gonna come to your aid." Jenny plays with my hair.

"Guys, I finally thought after putting up with Singleton's crap, that I'd found a decent guy. David seems so loyal, protective and the perfect leader." I wipe my tears as the girls look at me.

"Hayley, trust me, David's crazy about you. He's just never had a lot of courage or experience when it comes to girls." I manage to calm down a bit more.

"Sleepover?" Jenny suggests.

"Is that even a question." Jenny and Penny walk with me into the kitchen. "Hey Mum?" I call to her as she's looking through photo albums.

"Yes, Hails?" Mum asks, oblivious to what just happened.

"Is it cool if Penny and Jenny sleepover?"

"Sure, I'll call Soph now. You girls go grab your things."

"We'll be back soon." We grab our bikes and ride to their house. It was a short trip, we greet Sophia before grabbing anything they needed and starting the ride back to mine.

"Jen, you seriously need to slow down. Otis really busy." Jenny rolls her eyes as she rides ahead of us.

"Relax, guys. Everything will be co- Oh my god, Mac!" A car comes rushing towards her and Mac manages to grab Jenny, pulling her out of the way. Mac holds Jenny tight as driver swerves around Jenny's bike before continuing on their way, paying no attention to what just happened.

"Thank god you're okay, watch out next time." Jenny hugs him. Mac checks over her and the two talk between themselves before saying goodbye.

"I'm grateful that you were there, Mac. I don't know how to thank you." I watch as Jenny hugs Penny, who's scolding her twin.

"Just talk to David. David never meant to do what he did and he feels horrible." My gaze falls to my shoes.

"Mac, I can't think about this right now. I have to deal with mission NASA. So unless David wants to help, I can't deal with anything else."

DAVID'S POV
"You could've been killed!"

"If I hadn't done anything, she would've been seriously hurt or worse." He replies calmly. "I don't know what I would've done if Jenny got hurt." We ride off as my mind drifts to the stubborn girl that I can't get off my mind. I wish I was brave enough to be Hayley's hero, maybe then I could make things up to her.

HAYLEY'S POV
"Guys, Mac asked me out!" Jenny squeals.

"What do you think is a better ship name, Penny. Jac, Menny, Jatt or Mac?" I ask excitedly, a teasing tone evident in my voice.

"Hmm, I'd have to go with Menny." She says laughing.

"Jenny? What do you think is a better ship name? Hayvid or Dayley?" I whack Penny with a pillow, giggling as an attempt to hide my sadness.

"He doesn't like me like that," I tuck a stray hair behind my ear.

"Yes, he does! The first time he tried to talk to you, he was so nervous that he couldn't even speak, when you guys are arguing, you argue like an old married couple, and I heard from a little bird that David likes you."

"Does that little birdy wear glasses?" I question before turning to Jenny. "Jenny? What's a better ship name? Pints, Spenny, Paleb or Cenny?" Jenny turns to her sister and lets out a small snort as Penny hits us with pillows.