CHAPTER EIGHT: THE CAMP OUT

HAYLEY'S POV
"We're having a camp out tonight!" Mac announces as we finish our game for the day.

"When did we agree to this?" I ask before sipping water and fanning myself.

"Anytime someone calls camp out, we all have to go no matter what. It's a rule of the Sandlot that carries on from the first team." David explains, panting almost like a dog. I laugh at him and he shoves me jokingly.

~~~~~~

Later that night, we head to the old wooden treehouse after grabbing overnight bags and alerting our parents to where we would be. We all gave them Smalls' house number in case anything happened and we compiled a collection of sleeping bags, pillows, lanterns, drink bottles, candy and our baseball gear from practice.

"Shhh guys, you'll wake the Great Fear." Tommy hushes us as Squints begins to tell the story.

"It all started when Jenny and Penny's dad, Scotty Smalls, hit a baseball over the fence worth a million dollars over that wall. But Benny The Jet Rodriguez, defeated Hercules, otherwise known as The Beast, and got the ball back."

I'd heard dad's story a million times over. I should've known it would still be Sandlot legend

"When the beast died, a family with a dog the same breed moved in close by. The dog became pregnant a few years later. When she gave birth and Mr Merdell bought the one. This dog was completely different to the rest and he grew to become a very rough dog. One day, a little boy, maybe five or six, moved into the neighbourhood. His hero was Rapid Rocket and because of this, he believed that he was as fast as a rocket. It was the first day of school when he walked past Mister Merdell's backyard. Mister Merdell forgot to lock the gate that night, so the Great Fear got out. The kid ran and ran until he was trapped in the local junk yard. Legend has it, the kid was never seen again. Some say the kid was eaten alive by the Great Fear, others say he was infected with the Great Fears spit, got rabies and had to move away, and the rest say he's hopping around in the junkyard on one foot. After that day, Mr Merdell built his wall higher and stronger than ever before and chained the beast to a battle ship anchor so he could never get out again." Squints finishes.

"Come on guys, we're all sixteen and you expect me to believe an old horror story." I lie uneasily. This couldn't have happened again.

"Then look out the window and be quiet." I get up and tiptoe to the window. I look out the window and before I can move, a what looks to be a giant dog comes up and tries to grab my arm. I shriek and jump back, startled. David quickly inspects me, making sure I wasn't attacked.

"What does it look like?" Smalls asks.

"Like a giant, mutant, big-foot dog-thing." I murmur horrified.

"Now do you believe us?"

"Yes. Okay? Yes." I mumble frantically. "So, how are we gonna get the rocket?"

"I got an idea." Jenny says with a grin.