CHAPTER THREE: BOYS VS GIRLS

HAYLEY'S POV
'Never let anyone stand in your way of doing anything.' I remember when I was younger, Mum and Dad always used to tell me (and still do) about how girls were treated when they were younger. Even my dad doubted my Mum and Aunty Dusty when they challenged his gang. There was no way I was losing, I'm not about to let these idiots prove me wrong. These boys weren't going to stand in my way of a fun summer playing baseball. Looks like history is about to repeat itself.

Bat in hand, I stride with determination towards home plate. I can feel the anticipation filling the air as I knock the bat between my shoes. I can hear majority of the boys yelling stupid crap in the background, but my focus is on hitting this ball. I raise the bat, signalling the pitcher. Clearly underestimating me, he smirks as he pitches. His gloating nature caused me to swing even harder and the ball connects with the bat with a loud smack. It flies and I run as fast as I can. It lands far at the back of the field and the boys struggle to pick it up as I round all the bases and make it to home plate. I brush my hair behind my ear and give Blue Eyes a cheeky wink as I smirk.

"Hey, close your mouth. Don't want to catch any flies, do we Blue Eyes?" The boys are in awe as I high five the girls. We all laugh and I stick out my tongue before handing the bat to Penny. The motion seems to snap the boys out of their trance and Glasses, who wanted to be the one to pitch us out, steps up to the plate. I hear a crack as the ball lands near the wooden fence, close to where I'd batted my ball. She sprints as fast as she can, her long legs flying, and makes it to home plate before the boys can even throw to each other. She hands the bat to Jenny and Shaggy (yes I've given all the dorks nicknames) glares at Jenny as he pitches. Jenny swings and the ball goes flying. She sprints and beats the boys, just before Brunette tags home plate.

"Safe!" The boys stare at us in shock. "What was that? I can't hear you greeting your new teammates." They seem to recover from whatever weird shock they were dealing with. "I would like to know the names of all of my new team." My arms cross over my chest as I wait expectantly.

"I'm David... Durango." Blue Eyes finally introduces himself.

"I figured." My eyes flick to his dirtied baseball jersey, DURANGO embroidered in big red letters.

"Squints the second, Caleb to the adults." Glasses grins and I glance at Penny knowingly. One boy makes some signs with his fingers, which I realise is ASL.

"This is Fingers or Sammy. He's deaf, so just look at him when up you talk. He reads lips." Brunette explains. I mouth hi to him and he waves back with a big goofy grin.

"I'm Tommy." Brunette continues.

"Matthew, but I prefer Mac." Shaggy smiles at Jenny, who rolls her eyes and hides a smile.

"And I'm Smalls the second, my actual name is Jonathon." Shortie speaks up, his voice cracking slightly. He looks so sweet, a total mumma's boy, which I appreciate.

"Well, I'm Hayley and I guess you've already met Penny and Jenny."

"No slacking, now let's get practising." David states in a leader-like tone and throws me the ball, his cheeky smirk etched on his face. I smile, chuckling softly as we start to practice.