Chapter 14

Note: The lines or words in italics are actually flashbacks. It's just Selena remembering the words or scenes from the past.

Selena's POV;

Today was our long awaited day where we decided to hang out. It was so much fun because it had been such a long time since I went out someplace to hangout. Ever since my high school, life was never the same for me anymore. Mom got fired and we had to shift to a smaller cramped apartment. We had difficulty paying our dues and bills since mom was having trouble finding a job for three months. It was a very tough time. Both in home and in school as well....

We had taken quite a lot of rides including the roller coaster, the free fall, the haunted house. The last one was my favourite, Nash literally screamed which was kind of funny. When things are going this much good, you actually start to live in the moment and forget all about what happened in the past. It's been quite a long time since I last had any flashback of any sort.

"Hey, matchmaker."

Cyrus whispered into my ear while we were all sitting, because we took a break from the rides to eat something.

"Is that supposed to be my nickname?"

I whispered back, raising a brow

"Yes so is it time for us to leave them alone? Leo said we two should go first and then he will join us later on. This way Nash and Riley will have to talk to each other." He said

"Yeah, sure. Let's go."

I grinned and replied. After that we made an excuse to go order our food.

Instead of going to the food stall, we took a detour and went to the shooting games area.

"These games are rigged. Are you sure you want to play?"

He asked in a bored tone

"You're just saying that because you don't know how to aim properly."

I replied, paying the shopkeeper money in return for which he hands me a gun

I was in focus, aiming perfectly at the target. Slow and steady. I can do this. I was about to pull the trigger when Cyrus whispered,

"Are you sure you're aiming right?"

I flinched which made me become out of focus and I shot away from the mark.

"Cyrus!"

I scowled and he chuckled and grinned

"Do not distract me."

I added, again positioning myself in focus and aiming at the target. Luckily I had three tries. I can still win a prize. I pulled the trigger and the shot hit straight at the mark. The buzzer started beeping and lights started flickering.

"Congratulations. You have won. You can now choose any gift from these items."

The shopkeeper gave a half-smile and spoke in monotone

I took in the sight of all the items. There was jewellery, stuff toys and other bunch of stuff. My eyes landed on a pack of paint brushes. There were only ten inside. Aren't they less in terms of the price I paid? Or maybe they're enough? I don't know. I have never bought brushes before. But I knew that this is what I was going to choose. Because the other day when I went shopping with Cyrus, he couldn't buy the fan or the round brushes. Luckily, this pack of brushes had both.

"I'll take that, please."

I pointed at the pack as the guy grabs it and hands it to me.

"Brushes? Is that what you're going to get?"