Chapter 19

Second Person POV

It had been several days since the light incident and Senku and yourself had found information that could possibly lead to a new step into making the antibiotic. Midday yesterday Kohaku ran up to the two of you and announced that a certain event was going to be held soon, it was called the 'Grand bout'.

The winner of the 'Grand bout' would be able to become chief of the village,  be wedded to Ruri, Kohaku's sister, and be thrown party afterward, this would be good because where there's a party there is most likely going to be alcohol, and alcohol was something you guy needed.

You didn't want to participate in said event because, 1 you knew Chrome was probably in love with Ruri, 2 you didn't want to hurt anyone, and 3, you didn't want to be chief of anything.

The only people who you knew were going to participating were Chrome, Kohaku, Magma, Kinro, Ginro, and two other people you didn't know the name of. Knocking you out of your zone you could hear Chrome screaming about something from the outside.

"All right, while Gen's out deceiving Tsukasa, let's get started with the cure-all drug."

"Yeah! What are we making with science today!?! Oh, hey (Y/n)," Chrome said waving to you as you came out of the hut.

"Hello Chrome, Senku, and Suika," you smiled brightly at the three. "Good morning (Y/n)," Senku greeted back.

"I was just about to tell Chrome about something, care to join us?"

"Sure."

"There's a material that's just as important for building a civilization as iron. The first man-made material in history is synthesized using science. (Y/n), would you like to guess what it is?" Taking in the information he had given you could only assume it would be glass.

"Glass?"

"Ding ding, ten billion points for (Y/n)!"

"What's that? Weren't we supposed to be making the cure-all drug," Chrome questioned.

"We are, this is just another step we have to do in order to make it," you explained.

"Clay pots are no longer going to cut for our happy chemistry experiments if we want to make the cure-all sulfa drug. Glass can stand up to about any chemical. Glass is the foundation of chemistry."

"To top it all off if we have glass we could make Suika glasses, that's only if she wants then though. If she wants we could just put lenses in the watermelon."

"Yep, we might get to yank the watermelon off your head, Suika," Senku said eyeing the watermelon on Suika's head. Getting down on one knee he put to hands on the sides of Suika's head. "Yoink!"

Rushing over Kohaku snatched the watermelon out of Senku's hands.

"Senku, Suika doesn't want anyone to see her face!"

Taking a closer look at her face Kohaku gasped. "Wow Suika, you're perfectly adorable~"

When Suika squinted her eyes to get a better look at what was going on around her, she made this lightly strange face. "I have the fuzzy sickness in my eyes. Everything looks fuzzy to me, so I end up looking like this when I try really hard to see, and it's embarrassing. But with the mask on for some reason, it's a little easier to see!" She smiled happily.

"Yeah, that's the pinhole effect. If you look through a small hole, the light passing through it narrows and brings it into focus," Senku explained.

"What does glass have to do with Suika's fuzzy sickness?" Chrome questioned. "It has ten billion present to do with it! Listen up Suika. You're nearsighted as hell. That's not a disease, and it's not even a defect."

"In a technological civilization, it doesn't even bother anyone. We have eyes of science made from glass. Their called glasses, they solve anything," you elaborated.

"Science users can make eyes?" She questioned.

Nodding Senku patted Suika's head. "If I could, I'd love to see the beauty in this world too. I want to see you guys without the fuzziness, I want to meet the real you, even if it's just for a second."

Moved by Suika's speech Chrome was the first to speak, "All right then, let's make the glass stuff!" 

"Yeah, what should we gather Senku?"

"Glass is mostly made from quartz sand. I didn't see any in the Chrome collection so we'll have to go get some."

Puffing out his cheeks Chrome retorted, "Yeah that's right, why would I collect sand?" Once again ignoring Chrome Senku got up and began speaking, motioning us to follow him. "I did see a hint leading us to where quartz might be, follow me."

...

After what seemed to be an eternity of walking Senku finally stopped at what seemed to be a mountain.  "This was the place," he said.

"This is where I found that translucent rock when I was a kid."

"If you were to take just a little bit of that stuff you could sell it for a crap ton of yen," Senku stated walking off. "That translucent rock, that crystal, tends to be found in areas of decayed granite, like this place."

When Senku finished his statement you looked at the ground. He had mined the surface of the ground to reveal sand. "-And all this sand here is the raw material for glass, quartz sand."

When the sky had begun to change colour, you and Senku went around counting the number of baskets filled with sand you had. Realizing you had made enough the five of you made your way back to the hut.

"We'll ground down all the quartz sand into fine grains. Then we mix it with a bunch of other stuff and melt it in the furnace," as this was being said all the steps were being completed.

When it was finally melted you took it out. As you did Senku begun to explain what had to be done next. "We just need to throw in some lead, and we have a super see-through lens glass."

Showing everyone the end product everyone was amazed. "It's shiny and see-though, it's just like ice!"

"It's like a gem!"

Acquired glass!!