13 | alone

I was rendered speechless, the venom in their words cutting through the air like a sharp blade

"I have uncovered every little detail about you, and let me make it clear, if you don't willingly relinquish your position as luna, don't be surprised when I take matters into my own hands," Kenzie snarled, her words laced with menace. It felt more like a threat than a mere warning, and I found it increasingly difficult to remain in their presence.

In my moment of despair, I heard the reassuring sound of Leon's approaching footsteps, and I couldn't help but exhale a sigh of relief. Surely he would put an end to this torment.

But before Leon could intervene, his mother delivered another cruel blow. "No matter how hard you strive, you will never be worthy of this luna position."

The entire car ride back, I struggled to contain my emotions. The weight of the truth bore down on me — it seemed no one truly believed I deserved to be luna. The very thing I had hoped to achieve with his parents had been brutally taken away as they had openly declared their disapproval of me.

I was uncertain about Leon's feelings toward Kenzie, but I had learned that their parents had shared a close friendship since their youth. That bond had clearly been rekindled upon Kenzie's return from her year of overseas training, and their parents' support for her luna candidacy remained a well-kept secret, known only to me and Leon's mother.

That night, I couldn't find rest, even with Leon lying beside me. My distress remained hidden, as I had become adept at concealing my emotions after enduring so much.

The following day, with Lily away for training, I wandered the pack grounds aimlessly. As I walked, I overheard a group of girls my age engaged in conversation.

"I honestly don't understand why she's the luna. I heard she was a victim of her previous mate's assault and played the sympathy card, which is why the alpha chose her," the girl with wavy hair remarked disdainfully.

"Honestly, Kenzie is far superior. She just returned, and I genuinely hope she wrests the luna position from her," another girl chimed in.

Though I felt tears welling up, I fought to keep them at bay. Each word from the girls pierced my heart, chipping away at my self-confidence.

"Kenzie is also much prettier. Have you seen her hair? It's a perfect shade of blonde, whereas hers is just a dull, dirty brown," the girl with a ponytail added, delivering the final blow.

I yearned to escape their hurtful words and leave the scene, but a hand suddenly gripped mine. When I turned around, I met Leon's gaze. His touch served as an anchor, calming my turbulent emotions. I wondered if he had overheard their cruel remarks too.

"Would you care to repeat what you just said about the luna?" Leon's voice thundered through the entire pack grounds, drawing the attention of many onlookers. Not wanting to make a bigger spectacle or draw further negative attention to myself, I muttered, "I'm fine," attempting to downplay the situation.

Yet, the electricity that surged through our hands upon contact betrayed my true emotions, despite my efforts to diminish the situation. Leon chose to ignore my request, determined to address the issue head-on.

The girls stiffened, and I could see they were on the verge of tears. Soon, their family members approached, inquiring about the commotion. Leon explained that the girls had violated pack rules by gossiping about the luna, and he declared a one-week stay in the pack cells as their punishment.

I was taken aback by the severity of the punishment, and the girls' shocked expressions mirrored my sentiments. They pleaded with Leon for leniency, and their family members offered sincere apologies, promising that their children would not engage in such behavior again. They fervently requested an alternative to the pack cells.

Leon delivered a stern warning to all present. "Consider this a cautionary lesson. If I ever catch any of you speaking ill of or gossiping about the luna again, the consequences will be even more severe."

With that, he led me back home, leaving me to ponder whether he would ever take such a strict stance with me. But the painful words of Leon's mother and the hurtful comments from the girls continued to echo in my mind.

"You will never be enough. No matter how hard you try. That's why the alpha took pity on her."

Each word reverberated like a broken record in my head, relentlessly tormenting my thoughts.

this chapter finally showed how charlotte felt.

vote, comment and follow me for more updates!! ♡︎

rose,
xoxo