28 | the mysterious girl

"No, that's not what I mean

"No, that's not what I mean. I don't want you to get hurt," Leon said, his voice filled with concern.

"Nothing hurts me more than you keeping the truth from me. It's agonizing not knowing who she is, especially when everyone else seems to know." I shouted, my emotions pouring out.

"Alright, I'll tell you. But we need to go way back before we met," Leon sighed, preparing to reveal his past.

"The girl's name is Melody. She and I met in high school, and even though we're not mates, she was the love of my life. She was funny, pretty, and made me incredibly happy," he began, the words piercing my heart with each sentence. I forced myself to stay composed and silent.

"Even though we weren't mates, we dated for a long time. Until one day, she came to me and told me she found her mate. I knew it was selfish of me to want her to stay with me, so I let her go," he continued.

"She said I would always be the first person she ever loved, and at that moment, I felt my whole world collapsing. She was like my pillar of support, something I held onto for so long. I wrote her that letter afterward but didn't have the courage to deliver it to her," he confessed.

"And just like that, she disappeared from my life forever. I loved her so much that after that, I kept to myself, neglected all my alpha duties until my family helped me back up," he said softly.

Leon's painful past left me shocked. I had never imagined he could love someone so deeply that it would transform his entire personality. The bond and love between them felt as strong as that between mates. I was angry and heartbroken.

My worst assumptions had proven true; I was just her replacement. But I couldn't be her because I wasn't her.

"So, I was just her replacement all along," I choked out, tears welling up.

"No, Charlotte, listen. I didn't say that," Leon tried to explain as he came over to me, kneeling to my eye level.

"But that's what you meant," I blurted out, struggling with my emotions.

"I'm not finished talking," he insisted, reaching for my hand.

I flinched away from his touch, hurt evident on his face as I stood up.

"I want to go home. Please," I pleaded, my voice trembling.

He stood up, and we walked back to the car. The entire ride was silent as I stared out of the window, pondering my next steps.

I wanted to leave, to escape this place that didn't feel like home anymore. My love for him had grown immensely over the past few months, but the more I loved him, the more it hurt.

I should thank him for helping me through this challenging time, for taking me to therapy and comforting me. I wasn't ready to let go of him, but I also couldn't forgive him right away.

Yet, deep within me, a small part clung to our love, a tiny spark of hope that whispered things would eventually work out.

Leon tried to strike up conversations during the car ride, but I brushed him off, giving him the cold shoulder.

The car came to an abrupt stop as we reached the house. I walked briskly to my bedroom and slammed the door shut.

What should I do now? Leaving this place behind was tempting, but I knew I couldn't. I had unknowingly planted a seed here, and it had grown into a beautiful plant.

Despite all the growth, reality had struck me repeatedly, draining away the joy and bliss from my life, leaving me empty and hollow, just as Austin had done.

so, truth's out about the mysterious girl, what do you think?

vote, comment and follow me for more updates!

rose,
xoxo